Transmission

restless
Bikes: 1960 FL pan

Transmission

Post by restless »

Hi found correct year transmission for my bike rebuild but it has been polished does some one know the best way to take the finish back to the original dull look.
Thanks Bill
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: Transission

Post by james »

Restless,
Since the case is polished you would need something more aggressive than glass bead in my opinion.
With the case gutted, washed, dry and sealed up, I would sand blast the case. Stay away from the internal area and studs.

Jim
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Bill,
If you just want to dull the finish on polished aluminum, regular old oven cleaner will do the trick. It might take a couple applications to even out the finish. It's a very base (as opposed to acid on the ph scale) solution, so it would be a good idea to sponge the case down with clear water to remove traces of the cleaner after using it. It will give the polished aluminum a dull, darker and somewhat "aged" look, but it won't restore the original cast texture.

Geo.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

GEORGE---That's what I do when I clean my cases on the bike!--I go for a ride ,When warm I spray --EASY-OFF Oven cleaner & give it 10-min. & thourly wash & rinse!--Its The best thing I think!.--Also Have you tried PRO-FORCE Grill cleaner??.--I tried it in a inconspicuous place-underneath the bike,& It works GREAT!--But I Don't know about using it full-scale!,If it would hurt anything sensitive or not!---But We have been using easy-off for yrs. With GREAT RESULTS & no Damage to wires or brake-switch if hit by accident.The Pro-Force Cleaner is PRETTY AGGRESIVE,& that's what scares me on sensitive parts getting overspray!.I will say If its oiled-up & cruddy PRO-Force is spray & rinse & DONE!.EASY=OFF is great on powder coated surfaces to!.-----respectfully---Richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Castings didn't come from the foundry "dull".
They just were not polished.
Fresh ones were bright, but with a sand-cast texture, and often grind marks at seams and sprues.

Dull and darkened is often called "oxidized" or "patinated".

Its a different routine to return that to "bright".

....Cotten

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”