Neil
Bikes: 1942 Harley WLA Outfit
1917 Harley F Model
2009 Harley Heritage Softail
1971 BMW 75/5,

Fitting Reverse Gear WLA Transmission

Post by Neil »

Hi
After some info on fitting reverse to my WLA Transmission. I have purchased the reverse gear, reverse idler gear, low and reverse shifter clutch & reverse shift gate. Apparently the idler shaft is fitted?

I'm told I have to modify the shift drum, cut a slot in it?

I was also told the drums are exactly the same?

I thought it would be easier to purchase a Servi Car shift drum, the couple I found for sale stated they fitted the 45 solo & Servi Car, this kinda confirmed to me that maybe they were identical & just needed to be timed differently?

Is there any other parts needed?
I haven't pulled it down until I get all the parts together.
It's a 42 with the left side gearshift, 1st forward.
I have search through the site, couldn't find the info needed.
Thanks in advance.

Neil.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Fitting Reverse Gear

Post by RUBONE »

Neil,
Any '41-46 drum is correct and will work for either 3 speed or 3&R. The drum changed in '47 when the shift gate changed. No need to cut or modify anything. All the timing procedure is laid out in your service manual. (You do have one, right?).
The idler shaft is in the case. Instll the idler gear, the reverse gear and clutch, and adjust the shift fork. Make sure the drum is timed correctly and you are good to go.
No such thing a s a Servi-Car drum.
Neil
1917 Harley F Model
1971 BMW 75/5,

Post by Neil »

Great, Thank You very much Rubone, much appreciated. Kind Regards, Neil.
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

the chamfered tooth on the drum gear must line up with the "R" mark

Hydra74
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neil
1917 Harley F Model
1971 BMW 75/5,

Post by Neil »

Thanks Hydra
Great information there and thanks for going to the trouble of posting the Pic's, Enormously Helpful !
I don't mean to question anybody's knowledge on these matters, but, my friend helping me with my project pointed out an old thread on another forum on this subject, I have copied the basics below.
Would you guys be kind enough to comment.
Thanks Again
Neil.

Re: 3 speed with reverse.

don't forget the drum, you need a drum with 3 forward and 1 reverse.

Thanks for pointing that out . I neglected to tell him that. The drum will have five location dimples around the rim of the drum, opposite the gear end.

This is a 3 speed with no reverse drum. Note only four dimples around the rim of the drum for gear locations. 1,2,3,neutral, not in that order. Pa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RCamp
Bikes: 1946 WR,1946 UL,1956 KHK
1946 18M AJS
1968 B25 BSA 1969 BMW R60
1970 Triumph T100

2015 KTM RC390

Post by RCamp »

Neil,
The shifter drum that's in your tranny is what you need. All shifter drums from '33-'40 have a detent for the plunger ball or a notch for the gear lock pin ('38 & '39) for positive reverse engagment.
From the time reverse transmissions were introduced in 1933 for the 45's until 1973, all shifter drums had a slot or path for the shifter finger to follow whether it was used in a reverse transmission or not.
The shifter gate on the gas tank would stop the transmission from trying to go into reverse on a 3 speed tranny without reverse, which would be a false neutral without the reverse gears in the tranny.
To my knowledge, none of the shifter drums from '41 and up have a detent for reverse. Even the latter style that were used in electric start serv-i-cars do not have 5 detents. (Don't know why Harley decided to leave them out)
The shifter drum pictured is for '47 and up shift pattern and it does have the path for reverse but only 4 detents.
If you position your drum as in the picture it should appear to be a mirror image of the one shown which would be correct for '41-'46.
Ralph
Neil
1917 Harley F Model
1971 BMW 75/5,

Post by Neil »

Great Ralph, Thanks for the Clarification, I'll get on with it now.
Regards to All, Neil.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”