Transmission Fluid

heath49036
Bikes: 1958 Panhead motor in a wishbone frame.

Transmission Fluid

Post by heath49036 »

How much transmission fluid for a 1960 4-speed tranny?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Transmission Fluid

Post by 58flh »

HEATH---An actual amount of oil is (somwhere around a pint) :? --I dont even measure no need to ,instead I stand the bike-up straight Look into the hole & you should see the oil in the bottom of the hole,not filled to the thread!--you will wear it out the breather-screw when the mixer starts warmin-up!.Upon this do not use GEAR-OIL 70/W80--Use ST.60 /Reason bearings will not roll but instead slip around!-Its not a 4-speed like a car!. Hope this helps---RICHIE 8)
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

HEATH--I looked in the MANUAL its 1 & a Half-PINTS in my book FACTORY. 8) ---RICHIE
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

Richie,, are u saying that if u see oil don't add any? I fill to the center of the throw-out bearing ,but it leaks out in a week or two. ..after it leaks down it remains stable at the point where I can just see it.. Thanx
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Blucrab---After she levels off will it remain? or just lose slower?,-LOOK at your trans-studs,although I think your problem is not there as it would EMPTY itself if sitting for winter.You may have just overfilled it Also you may have a seal leak on mainshaft,Imsure you would of said that!-Its obvious. My mixer when I chane oil I let it drip overnight & let it out HOT!-Go in the house,BIKE-in best position so all comes out the plug. Inspect for water it obvious,& usually the CLEANING of the bike & hose ,lets it in from the ventscrew.I know my mixer is clean!--Therefore I dont waste a QT. of 5w20-basically almost water for a rinse cyles & let it drip out.(DONT EVEN RIDEIT spin the mixer with rearwheel & out it goes.Make-sure hole threads are good & put a magnetic one in,I do you dont have to if you dont want.Add oil in slow & let it settle ,little more settle,repeat until you end-up as you have it explained-(SEE IT in the bottom of hole,touch it with yer finger (unless you have sausages :lol: .-IM done).--check regularly with a small light if you cant see!--BIKE up & down.You will run & not damage,BUT if you have a kicker cover-leak gasket or bushing,& the bushing is high in the case(anything excessive should be fixed).--STAY-SAFE----RICHIE 8)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”