Kicker Arm

jarhead
Bikes: -

Kicker Arm

Post by jarhead »

Took kicker arm and cover off today. Crank gear is shot.I have the "Pig snout" cover and conical throwout bearing. I was given a new after market kick-start cover with crank gear, bushes, kicker shaft, and arm. I like my original cover so I removed the bushes form new cover and installed in old cover. Also used new arm and gear. Problem- easy install but can"t get kicker arm installed at 12 o"clock. Best I can do is 11 o"clock. I don"t know if old crank gear is original ( I doubt it.) but it does slightly look different. Since I"ve own her , arm has always been at 11 o"clock. I have look at the gallery on this forum and noticed many kick arms positioned at 12 o"clock. Any and all insights are appreciated.
57pan
Inactive member

Re: Kicker Arm

Post by 57pan »

You're saying that it has always been at 11:00 and you changed the kicker gear and the kicker arm and it is still at 11:00?

If that's true then it could be that someone did something with the kicker gear stop that is changing the angle where the arm stops:
transmission.jpg
Or the square ends of the kicker shaft are out of alignment.

Just some ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

jarhead
Do you have the one piece kicker arm ? Could it be twisted. I replaced the throw out bearing in a 69 and had to remove the kicker arm from the kicker shaft & return spring to ge it to index right at 12 O'Clock , repop bearing may of had something to do with it . If you have the one piece kicker that might be a problem though to try that.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

57 Pan, my kicker gear stop is the same as the picture you posted; nothing different. It's like the stud on the crank gear is placed wrong. I've tried rotating the gear, (marking one flat ) four times for each coresponding flat; same problem.Could both the square ends of my shafts (old and new) be out of alignment? Fourthgear , I have the two piece kicker. Any other possibilities out there? I appreciate all replys.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

This is a long shot, but V-Twin lists two different kicker bumper plates, the stop for the kicker gear. One fits 1941-75, the other 78-up. Their is a pic in the J&P catalogue of a kick kit to fit any year from '36-'86, shows that it comes with both stops. It looks like they both have the same mount holes, but different lenghts? If you have the wrong one and it's too long, that would explain the stop at 11:00. It should fit pretty close to right against the tranny case if it's the right one.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Russ W, My bumper plate is the same as posted by 57 Pan, tight against the tranny plate. Any one else out there ever have my problem or heard of someone having this problem?
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
maybe a late model gear???????
or the case was not mach. right in the first place?
do the old and new shaft parts index the same to each other?
I think its the gear somehow
mbskeam
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Mbskeam, The old and new shafts do index the same to each other. Looking at the case carefully, everthing looks in check. I believe you are right that it is the gear. I have one on order through a dealer. Says they found the real deal (no repo) , we"ll see. Should have it in a few days, I'll reply back then. Thanks.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Recieved my new crankgear today. Installed and still have the same problem. I tried it with out the kicker gear stop for giggles and the kicker arm lined up at 12 o"clock. So maybe the case isn"t machined right? I put the stop back in and button it up. Need to go riding for now. (But still opened for any other replys)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
how thick is your kicker gear stop?
I think mine is about 1/8 thick.
or the case is mach. in properly from the factory.
beer friday and all
mbskeam
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Mbskeam, My kicker gear stop is 1/8 thick. I even grinded down stop a hair. The starter gear should"nt matter correct? I have 14 tooth. Maybe 16 tooth starter gear? Just reaching.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Notice yesterday when kicking bike over, ever so often it skip a tooth or two while kicking through. New gears .So what am I doing wrong? This is starting do jerk me.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Aug 28, 2005, 11:57am, jarhead wrote:
Notice yesterday when kicking bike over, ever so often it skip a tooth or two while kicking through. New gears .So what am I doing wrong? This is starting do jerk me.
That would most likely be the ratchet teeth slipping, not the gear teeth. Make sure that the starter gear slides freely on the main shaft and that the ratchet teeth are in good condition - not broken, chipped or rounded.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Could be that the bushing is worn which allows the shaft to move at an angle causing gear not to properly engage.

ozwick
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

I will open her back up late today and inspect ever so carefully. Will post a reply with results. Thanks.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”