Shifter Travel

conrod60
Bikes: 1960 Harley FL
1940 Indian sport
2005 BMW R1200GS

Shifter Travel

Post by conrod60 »

Recently bought 1960 FL. Has to me excessive shifter travel. Owned a 1959 FLH in 1961 and can't remember the shifter travel. Replaced the shifter bushing and helped a bit. Opinions? Bike is stock.
HDChevroletUSA
Bikes: 60 FL Dual-Glide
79 FLH Electra Glide
80 FLHC Electra Glide Classic
03 FXD Super Glide

Re: Shifter Travel

Post by HDChevroletUSA »

Don't know if I can help much, but I just got my 60 FL on the road this summer. It is unrestored/bone stock, (rust, faded paint, torn seat and all). It runs perfect. I didn't notice any excessive play in the shifter. I have an 80 FLH that I bought new, and the shifter travel seems similar to me.
58bob
Bikes: 56 Pan Bobber
2008 Ducati Monster S4r

Post by 58bob »

Conrod60,
I take it you have foot shift, and have excess travel while changing gear.
I too have this, maybe its just part of the shifter pattern, but i was thinking of shortening the arm on the end of the foot lever shaft, that would reduce the travel but might decrease the mechanical advantage, ie. make it harder to change gears. Ive had a lot of sports bikes over the years so used to short travel gear levers.
On my 56 it makes for interesting riding when turning down a side road, both feet off the pegs (dont have foot boards) one changing down gears, the other riding the brake, blipping the throttle on down changes and then trying to get my arm out to signal a direction change......all very interesting!
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Post by rozemab »

Do you have a heel toe shifter or just a toe shifter?

I recently switched from a heel toe to a toe shifter level and I was surprised how much I had to lift to engage the shift.

Guess one gets spoiled with only having to press down to shift through the gears.

Remember shifting on our 'rock crushing' four speeds is a process, and I enjoy it! Unlike my newer BMWs, I know when I'm in gear on my panhead!

A good shift is anytime the shift stays in the gear, on our old panheads!

Brian

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”