1st to 2nd shift pretty rough.

lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

1st to 2nd shift pretty rough.

Post by lownslow »

Have been riding the new Pan a fair amount to sort out all the quirks. One thing is bothering me. Well 2 but I'll get to the other one later. The clutch is actually adjusted well, I thought it grabbed a bit early but it's actually just right. When shifting from first to second, it takes work and I feel a gear or two when up shifting to second. Third and fourth are like butter with a lovely clunk and smooth engagement. Is this why some put a heel shift type lever on theirs? I looked around in the KB but didn't find much, plus I tend to spend way too much time reading when I could be riding or working in the garage. So much to learn, so little time. Any help is always appreciated!!!
Thanks, John
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Re: 1st to 2nd shift pretty rough.

Post by 1951 adam »

If its letting out early, the cluch pack might not be fully disengageing , try running thru the gears at the ratchet top with the rear wheel up and turning it by hand to help move into all the gears, it should shift fairly smooth, shifter fork could be bent, or out of adjustment, good luck, Adam
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Why are third and fourth so nice but second is tough?
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

lownslow wrote:Why are third and fourth so nice but second is tough?
theres a low fork and a high fork that moves the dog out of 3rd to the main drive gear. Was it always hard or did it just happen all of a sudden? When you pull the clutch in with the bike in gear does it walk, or is it hard to go into neutral?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Third and fourth use a different shifter fork, a different shift clutch, a different track on the shift drum, and the speed of the gears is much better matched. All factors that can potentially help it shift better in those gears. The low and second gears are much further from engine speed, and you have to go through the neutral position to shift from one to the other. Is the detent plunger too tight? Things such as the condition of the track in the drum, the fork roller, the fork itself, condition of the dogs on the shift clutch, all can add to rougher shifts.
Make sure the clutch adjustment is as perfect as you can get it, no wobble in the pressure plate. Perhaps back off on the detent ball tension. If the condition persists you may have to get into the box itself and start looking for the culprit.
Robbie
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Had no idea there were 2 shifter forks and all the other stuff Robbie mentioned. I may need to just yank the trans this winter and go through it all. I'll be adjusting the primary chain this week and then the clutch. Let's see where it lands after that. Hmmmmm.......my new labor of love. Definitely worth it!
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

You should Probably listen to what Robbie said and loosen the detent ball. I would suspect that more than a few trans have been 'yanked and gone through' unnecessarily.
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Thanks, good point Indianut. The PO had the primary chain oiler turned off and not much lube on it so I'm getting it ridden a bit with plenty of oil then I will make the adjustment. Thankfully it was on the loose side and not too tight. Then I'll go through the clutch adjustment procedure and see where it lands.
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Update..........got some riding in with the chain oiler working though I had to turn it down a bit.
The chain is now a nice steel color with no brown and well oiled. Definitely loosened up though. I was taking a close look for wear at the sprockets and they seem pretty good. The chain seems to run awfully close to the inner tin, at the rear, not much clearance really. What's the normal distance? Also, what would be an acceptable amount of movement, slop, from side to side of the chain on the sprocket? I'm hoping this chain ain't too beat up. It wasn't running too tight before so that may have saved more than the chain. Looked around in the KB. I could swear I read it somewhere. Gotta duck out but I'll check the chain for tight and loose spots this afternoon. Maybe the chain is a goner...... :(
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Adjust it to the tight spot, better off running on the loose side, as not to stress the engine sprocket and the drive line, Adam
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Checked 6 different spots several times and there is just one slightly tighter spot so I'm thinking the chain is still pretty good. Adjusted it back to tighten and readjusted the clutch and drive chain. Turned the oiler down a quarter turn and I'll recheck on the next ride.

Speaking of the next ride..............I'm not leaving the garage until I rebuild or replace the brake master, it leaks pretty bad but still works. Man, it definitely looks like the original. Pretty war torn. I'm thinking it might be better to just buy a new one. The P.O. had a rebuild kit he gave me with the bike as he said he found he didn't need it...... :roll: There's an extra part or 2 than what shows in my SM. I'll yank it off later this afternoon and see what shape the cylinder is in. Best place to buy a new one???

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”