Model 58 generator

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Model 58 generator

Post by Huck »

My rotor is dead, I’ve got a replacement, and my issue is the bushing on the non-drive end. I don’t have the correct tool to cut a new bushing. I’m thinking about making some grooves in the dead rotor to size the new bushing. Anybody got a better back yard idea or tool?
I’ve been cruising the knowledge base, hope I didn’t miss it.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Model 58 generator

Post by RUBONE »

I have never seen a factory replacement bushing for a -58 generator that needed sizing after installation. They were loose to begin with! Are you using an aftermarket or generic one?
Robbie
Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I got one from old dude. The manual references a tool to install this bushing, I can’t even find a picture of what the tool looks like. The last blurb about it in the manual says twist the tool, I would imagine this is cutting the bushing to size. Deeper yet, the bushing that was removed had one hole in it that lined up with the oil cup at 12 o’clock. 180 degrees from the oil cup is an oil pot, this pot as a small hole drilled at an angle, there I assume to drain excess oil away from the rotor. The current mystery is when you install this bushing it blinds off the little oil pot. When I removed the old bushing I did find the remnants of an oil wick. The generator has been worked on before, so I’m suspicious. I haven’t found any detail yet, seems to me in order for the pot to work I have to have a path to get oil to it, so I’d need to drill a hole from the top into the oil pot. My bushing would in up with two holes 180 degrees apart. Seems then the pot would have a wick and the cup would also have a wick. I’ve yet to find any detail on this. Maybe just soak a bit of rock maple in oil and beat that into the housing?
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Your old armature can be rewound.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I feel you are way over thinking that bushing! The original is sintered brass with no holes. The oil cup allows the bushing to stay saturated at all time. That is all it does. The tool is a simple drift and needs to be rotated to remove simply because you cannot pull it straight out due to no grip on the straight shank. It is not a reamer or magic sizing tool! The bushing is easily installed with any bushing driver set. No big deal.
Robbie
Here is a pic of the factory tool!

Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Thanks Rubone!
Yes I've been told that before, thats just me, I'm more than half wore out now, don't see it changing...
That helps, I have two bushings from different sorces, both are .010 too small on the ID to fit the shaft??
It’s allot easier on the gray matter when disassembling something you know is virgin. Seems all my stuff has buggered up nuts, screws or lack of, assembled by someone with a hardware mauler in a big hurry to do something else. I’m slowly picking my way through it trying to make it right. Kinda like everyone else round here.

Does the wick do under over or both?
Got a bushing in your pocket that fits?

Where’d you find it?

Regards
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

What sources are the bushings from? Just as a side note, the shaft on a model 61 generator is approx. .012 smaller than a model '58. A bushing .010 too small for the model '58 armature with about a .001 crush on installation would fit a model 61 armature just about right. I wonder if the suppliers are using that as a standard size to make them to. And a model 65/65A is the same size as 61!
Just a thought!
Robbie
Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I don't want to air that here, I called they checked stock and supplier. they're also doing some head scratching.
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Huck,

I had the same problem with the '58 generator on my '60 Pan. Bought the 61'? and later rotor or stator, pulled the end cap off one of my other later generators, needle bearing type, like the front of the housing and rebuilt the whole unit. Works great and I don't have to pull the end cover off and add oil to the bearing cup.

Good luck, Tony.
Huck
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I’m 51 still in denial I guess, amazing the difference when you put your glasses on. There is a land cut in the housing that connects the top and bottom oil pots together. My die grinder with the little drum sander installed did a nice job sizing the bushing, ended up with a nice fit. Little bit of wick top and bottom, little sleeve retainer. Drove her home without distortion. When the brown truck shows up with a couple more pieces we’ll finish up and beat her down the road some more. Thanks for the input guys!

Return to “Generator”