Where's That Button?

CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Where's That Button?

Post by CaptMike »

'Cause after about a 100 kicks with my left leg... I gave out. (Trying not to use the Right! It's not going to take a lot of abuse.)

A little Tip for you builders. Don't use a battery charger for power to try and start your scoot. A battery charger connected directly to the bike (without a battery) will Blow the Diodes (rectifier) out of the Battery Charger. Want to know how I learned this? Hell, I blew two chargers tonight. The 10/2 held up the longest and then I noticed a pretty loud 60 hz hum coming from the transformer and could see Blue Fire inside the charger. Thinking it was just time for it to Die (after I checked it and saw one diode GONE) I connected a 2/10/50 and it only lasted about 15 seconds and it also got loud. Pulling the cover and testing the diodes, yep Another One Bites The Dust. (Ordered the replacement diodes and a NEW Die Hard electronic charger!)

My 12 volt battery hasn't arrived yet. I do have a couple of bote batteries but I figured there wouldn't be a problem just using a Charger. NOT!

I almost got it to crank about 5 or 6 times. Most were 2's (Chug, chug) and 1- 3 (chug, chug, chug). Maybe if I'd been using a Battery it would have actually ran.

Yea, I guess I miss my old '65 Pan. Amazing how easy something will crank when there's a working starter button.
CaptMike

Re: Where's That Damn Button?

Post by CaptMike »

Just gave up on attempt #2.

This might end up being a roll-start. I get little response from the old girl. Timed on front compression stroke w/ "I" in center of hole, advanced the centrifugal advance and set "timer" to just opened points (with narrow lobe). Idle jet at 1.5 turns and power at 1.5. Have tried choking, power on & off, you name it. I can get a few "whoofs" this morning but no "Chug-Chug".

Even gave the old bag a squirt of Motor Coke (ether) but she still won't move on her own. (No, I'm not an Ether person but...)

Fun ain't it.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Where's That Button?

Post by Cotten »

CaptMike!

M74B Linkert needle settings start at 3/4 on the power, and 3 1/2" on the idle.

Please lay off the ether until below freezing at least, and ALWAYS replace the aircleaner before ignition.

....Cotten
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

Thank You Mr. Cotton!

I looked (the Snake didn't bite me) and didn't find the initial settings on the carb. Once I get the "B" to run, it's easy. Since I've checked the double checked the timing about 3 times along with the points gap... but no frogging luck.

Since I've broken the points on a Sportster with no air-cleaner once.... An air-cleaner is very important to keep the hair on your face!

As I said, I Never squirt either in anything but I'm missing part of the Fire Triangle and a nice "sissy" button. Might be those expensive Split tail H-D spark plugs...

I did have about 12 psi of oil pressure!

Back to the stupid activity.

Attempt #3.
1 Hour later. Only Cough and one "POW" out the exhaust. Checked the points gap and backed the Timing up about 5 degrees. (Points are a loose .016" and a tight .018".)
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

What ignition are you running? Stock timers are set with points at .022. And are you positive you are not 180 degrees out!
Robbie
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

The timer is an after market that's tight. No slop in the cam or shaft.

I dropped the "timer" with the heads and cylinders off. Let the front lifter lower and got the "I" in timing hole. I set the small lobe to the points lobe (with advance, advanced). I've checked it at least three more times and once this morning. Pulled the front plug, stuck my finger in the hole and kicked it. As soon as I felt pressure I looked and the small cam was coming up on the points. I also double checked with the rear once today. I just pulled the bowl off the carb and checked to be sure it didn't have trash in the needles or jets. Put it back together and just flooded the garage with gas. Evidently the float stuck and gas was pouring out of the carb. About a pint all on the floor. Mopped it up and killed all the power to the bike and turned on a fan to try and blow it out. I hate Friggin gas on the floor.

Timing plug removed, "I" in hole, intake valve closed and small lobe at points.

In the past when Pop-Tops were always around, that was the only feeler gauge I ever used on a H-D. I guess that's why I lean to .016" or .018".

After I flooded the floor with stinkin ass gas, that might be it for today.

The thing I haven't done (since I've never had problems in the past) was pressure test the intake.
CaptMike

F' the Button

Post by CaptMike »

OK... after studding what was going on. (See the Fire Triangle comment above.) I started all over from square One again. Pulled the Front intake pushrod clip, removed the timing plug and pushed it through with the kicker until the Intake pushrod went back down. Eased it through until the "I" was in the hole and looked at the timer and it was on the small lobe. Manually twisted the advance and it was no more that 2 or 3 degrees off. (Points were still at .022".) After I buttoned it back up I decided to Can the used Coil and install the New One I have. Checked the bote battery voltage that I was using 12.82 volts. Gave it full choke a couple of kicks and turned the power on. For the first time, it actually popped back through the carb. "Humm... That's different". And kept kicking. It would kind of sneeze but just not hit off. Thinking about magnetos being timed higher I gave the timer a little tweak that was about 20 degrees. The next kick It Was RUNNING. Let it run several minutes and adjusted the idle mixture. 5 turns was way rich. At about 3.5 it had idled up so that I could turn loose of the throttle. I next grabbed the fan and turned it on. I let it run about a total of 5 minutes varying the throttle. It got warmed up but not smoking hot. I'll re-torque the heads later Friday.

So at this point, it looks like the old coil I had was possibly weak or only firing now and then. I don't know about you but in the past when I opened the points with a screw driver I could hear the plugs go "tink" in the cylinder. On this motor, I hadn't heard the plugs fire once when I broke the points. I know the old coil would fire the plugs but I just don't think it was hot enough.

Linkert question. When I choke the carb and kick it a couple of times, I see gas coming out of the vent on the left side. Is this normal or is my float level possibly to high? I moved it a small amount before I flooded the garage with gas but it looks level in the bowl and is about 3/8" down from the lip when the seat is Closed.

Running the engine doesn't have any knock or rattle but it seems to have a fair amount of gear noise. I can't tell it most of that noise is from the belt or what. I know it was showing about 50 PSI of oil pressure. Which I didn't expect but hot will make a big difference I'm sure.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: F' the Button

Post by Cotten »

CaptMike wrote: Linkert question. When I choke the carb and kick it a couple of times, I see gas coming out of the vent on the left side. Is this normal or is my float level possibly to high? I moved it a small amount before I flooded the garage with gas but it looks level in the bowl and is about 3/8" down from the lip when the seat is Closed.
CaptMike!

Sounds like a fire hazard.

I am not sure how you are observing it, but you want the fuel level to be about 5/8" below the lip of the bowl.
A proper float should be set at 1/4" to produce this, and left there.

One can only be certain that a float is not hanging up slightly upon the bowlstem by inverting the entire assembled carb, and sucking upon the valve.

Beware also that a leaky petcock can overwhelm any float and valve while the machine sits.

Good luck,

....Cotten
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

I'm not happy about the float hanging up and flooding the place. It's one of those things I know if it did it once... So I have to pull it back apart anyway.

I'll check the level with a scale but I'm sure I'm about 10mm from the lip (and level in the bowl). The hole the gas leaks out of during a full choke is on the body above the bowl. I just didn't remember the '65 doing that. I could tell it actually got worse after I removed the bowl. I left the gas on for a couple of minutes and the needle/seat was tight. (After I binged it with an adjustable!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

10MM?? Are you working on a Yamaha?? :mrgreen:
Linkert floats are at 1/4 inch, which last I checked is about 6.3 centimeters. 10mm is closer to 3/8ths.
Robbie
CaptMike

Where'd You Covert That?

Post by CaptMike »

RUBONE wrote:10MM?? Are you working on a Yamaha?? :mrgreen:
Linkert floats are at 1/4 inch, which last I checked is about 6.3 centimeters. 10mm is closer to 3/8ths.
Robbie
Honestly when you worked in Microns, 6.3 centimeters looks like 3 miles and I hate to tell you that your off by 2.23315" on your conversion. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like the Metric System... Just not a big fan of "Royale with cheese"! 1/4 Pounder just works.
CaptMike

Button What?

Post by CaptMike »

Just walked around the Yameha... I mean Panhead and going through a "Let's see Crank routine " two full choke kicks, power off and Turn the power on (choke off). Sum Beach it was running on the second kick. I 'bout fell down in the floor from being amazed. Naturally I hadn't touched anything since last night (and wouldn't). I am curious to shoot the timing but one man timing it tough. Nobody to yell at... know? You know I hate to say it but the Orange coil was used but I felt sure it was OK and American made. The new coil is Flippin Taiwan made and that's why I trusted the old one.

I called the company about the ES12-12 battery and it will be here Tuesday. I ordered it on 10/23/11 but evidently it didn't ship until one day last week. I still have stuff to do anyway.

During the two choke kicks no gas came out of the vent hole on the Linkert.
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

Millimeters.....Centimeters....what's the Difference? If you like the Metric System you should LOVE the Tiawanese Coil :mrgreen:
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

indianut wrote:Millimeters.....Centimeters....what's the Difference? If you like the Metric System you should LOVE the Tiawanese Coil :mrgreen:
Simple... 1=12!

Me? I'm waiting on the "Smart Ass" relief spray. (Damn... Just saw this crap on TV and 'bout blew Coffee out my nose.)

Return to “Troubleshooting”