rebuilt 62 won't start!

62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

rebuilt 62 won't start!

Post by 62wild1 »

Well I finally got to the starting point after a long journey. I had to have the neighbor come over to kick her over due to a recent operation and all we could get was a couple backfires out the carb and a possible almost start. Everything is new and I did the manifold test with the kit from MKBEAM, checked point gap, fresh battery and charge, new coil and wires and plugs, carb set 5 turns out on the low and I will try and check the timing today but not quit sure how to do it. Is it possible he isn't kicking hard enough as he was struggling to give it a good stomp? I just read in the handbook to adjust the timing you have loosen the rod lock nut and I did have to remove the breaker plate to correct the stud so I could get the cable through it so maybe I did screw up the timing. I'll go and try setting it now and see how it looks. Are they always this difficult?
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: rebuilt 62 won't start!

Post by Ohio-Rider »

No they are not always that difficult. I'm betting its the timing if you had that apart. Also double checked your valve adjustments. It doesn't require a big kick to start these engines when tuned nicely. Panheads have big flywheels, let them do the work for you. Good Luck
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

62wild1 wrote:Are they always this difficult?
Just the females.

Like training dogs and horses, everything has to be just right for them, not you.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

"A couple of backfires and an almost start" reckon you might have the timing 180 out? I believe I would check that.
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Well it was dumping fuel overnight so I pulled the carb and bowl and noticed the float was rubbing the inside of the bowl everywhere so I put in Cottens new float and it seems to work much better as far as clearence. According to the timing check procedure it looks as if it is 180 out but hard to believe as I had a reputable rebuilder. I'm hoping I did the check wrong. I did find a good mechanic but he won't be able to look at it till monday. We have a Blues On The Mall every Wed night so I'm going to hang down there and watch for a panhead to roll in and see if I can purswade with beer a quick look at my bike...............worth a try if i want it running sooner. I'm done for the day, time for a pill.
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

SHE LIVES! Finally took it to a panhead zen and he checked the timing and found it 180 out so we set er straight and kicked the crap out of it till she started (he kicked I watched sorry to say) Seems to run smooth just need to cycle it a couple more times before I take it for a putt. Been waiting 5 years to hear that sound. Now if I can get the neighbor to come over and start it for me again............I think he is hiding.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

good for you 62!

entice your neighbor with burgers and beer and i'm sure he will be back!

john :mrgreen:
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

well I did find my oil filter was dumping oil out the top of the filter housing at the bracket so after he started it again I had to shut it down and tear into it again to find that I didn't tighten the rod after I replaced the washer at the top of the housing. Sooooooooooooo here I sit now all broken hearted try to start but only.............................

Return to “Troubleshooting”