Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

One last time......I hope..

Post by Skip »

Ok guys here is where I am at...as you know new top end...Linkert m74b...o ring manifold...tested via Mr. Beam's cool tester...checked and rechecked and rechecked pushrods...tried 6 hours today to start...fires and spits out exhaust...points set .022 as always...new plugs...battery at 6.27 after the day of attempts.....searched knowledge base, etc., no help yet...any pointers will be appricated...thanks Skip
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: One last time......I hope..

Post by Jack_Hester »

Timing out 180 degrees?

Jack
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

I never bothered the timing...was ok before I took heads and jugs off...but will check...Thanks Skip
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

shorted capacitor?

john
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

JohnHD, you mean condenser? Had that happen to my brother-in-law back in the early 80s. A quart of Jack later we figured it out by trial and error. Now I never leave home without an extra condensor (or an extra pint of Jack)
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

put new coil...points...plugs...and waiting on auto shop to open to get condensor...both plugs were sparking...just trying to rule out everything...I have puddle of gas lying in manifold...fires on occasion...sounds like compression (air) blowing back through the oil tank when kicked over...never experienced that before...Thanks Guys...Skip
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

'panzr4ever wrote:
JohnHD, you mean condenser? Had that happen to my brother-in-law back in the early 80s. A quart of Jack later we figured it out by trial and error. Now I never leave home without an extra condensor (or an extra pint of Jack)'
yes exactly, sorry for the confusion, i am a lineman by trade so i use that terminology.
i also never leave home without a good one. (blue streak) bad condensors can cause all sorts of problems from no starts to mid speed misfires.
i do not know for sure if that is the problem in this case, however it seems 99% of troubles come from electrical components low batteries bad plugs etc.
the pooling of gas in the manafold may be a sign of a mis adjusted or logged float in the carb.

john
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Post by 56panman »

Skip.., Give that .022 gap setting of the points another good looking over. I changed my points last summer, which is something I have done a dozen of times. Can you believe I had to reset them 3 times before getting them correct. Each time I would have sworn I had them right. Just like your experincing the engine would not even try to start. Good Luck -Steve
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Thanks guys...very nerve racking and mildly ironic...take apart a running motorcycle and end up with an expensive garage stool...thought about the carb thing...just bought it last year and the gentleman told me it was recently professionally rebuilt...so I bought a gasket kit and 1 of Mr. Cotten's famous floats...took carb apart Friday night and it had new gaskets and an old 1 of Mr. Cotten's floats...it was set at about 11/16th, turned upside down, I left it so...will re-check points after I get the condensor this evening...this damn work keeps getting in the way of my progress...Thanks Skip
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

11/16" ???

You really meant 1/4", right?

....Cotten
PS: Are my old floats different?
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Yes...1/4...trying to do 2 things at once here...bad week already...the old float looks identical to the new one...just looks as if it has been there a while...a little dab of something on the screw...etc...I THINK carb is ok...Skip

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....re-re-re-checked the pushrods and re-set them shamefully loose...compression so strong now almost wears me out...put on a new condensor and 3 primers and a hot kick...a hard fire...2 more primers...and 1 hot kick and ran for about 30 seconds...I was happy enough to quit for the evening...thanks again to all...Skip
john HD

Post by john HD »

good deal!
the snow finally melted here, i took mine for a couple of chilly spins!

john
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Post by 56panman »

Great news Skip..... Ain't it a thrill when these panheads fire-up. ;D So was it the condensor or the pushrod adjustment that was causing you trouble..?
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

wish I would have done them one at a time...did both at same time so really do not know...if I had to guess I would say it was the pushrod re adjust...read an old post from Dreborn...he explained to Kuda I believe how he was taught to adjust them starting with the rear exhaust...then it dawned on me that that was how the old man showed me the first time...do not know why or when I started with the front exhaust...but loosened them up to a near sloppy 2 finger spin and there it was...compression like never before...and yes it was a thrill...danced a jig in the rain in the driveway...neighbors think I'm a nut any way...still curious about the small ponding of gas in the manifold...curiouser and curiouser...thanks again to all....Skip
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

I'm bettin on the pushrods.

King

Return to “Troubleshooting”