Bike stalling after 2-4 miles riding

Hummbusa

Bike stalling after 2-4 miles riding

Post by Hummbusa »

Hi everyone...new to board but have been following for months. Finally got the Pan I have been chasing for almost two years. It is a 1950 95% original. I have no trouble starting it but I ride for 2-4 miles then it starts to stall. I can restart it right away but wants to stall when I put it in gear and start to drive away. I am still able to drive for a few blocks then same thing..Let bike sit for hour or so then I am able to ride again for a few miles then it starts all over. Also I think I could let it idle forever when I restart it? Any help would be appreciated?
57JOHND
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Bike stalling

Post by 57JOHND »

Hummbusa,
Welcome Aboard! New myself here and let me tell ya, there are some Salty folk here that can offer a running ton of experience. You know that already if you have been following the postings. Congrats on your '50 as it took me what seemed like forever to finally get the '57 I was looking for. To the matter at hand-kinda need more basic info-- like when it happens have you done the "its got fuel and fire" checks? Just a Guess but it kinda sounds like a fuel restriction (tank screen/fuel filter) that after the stall will refill the carb and allow it to run, at least thru the capacity of the fuel bowl . Since fuel demand is minimal at idle it very possibly could run forever, However a run up thru the gears will empty a bowl by the end of 2nd gear. Just a guess- so post more info as you get it.

Good Luck and Welcome

John
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Hummbusa, 57JohnD's probably on the right track..sounds like fuel starvation to me. If you got two tanks make sure the right hand one has the vented cap or you;ll build up a vacuum in your tanks and the flow will stop. Take it off, or loosen it and go for a ride,,,see what happens. Haggis.
Ps just reread your message....make sure you have oil flow first!!!!!! Look into the oil tank while its idling blip the throttle and see if you have oil returning to the tank.
PPS, Welcome aboard , what did you get..,el.....fl......?
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

Man I come back an hour later and 2 responses..wow!
Well a little more info..I am jumping the gun to ride. I just ordered a crossover gas line because the tank was leaking and I got the special tool for the instant reserve to fix it right when I get the crossover (Tues.) So i broke off the ring? that is connected from the crossover line and only put gas in the left side...would this cause my problem? Also I have both tank
caps is one vented and the other not? How can I tell
Oh yeah it is a FL
Thanks Guys
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Welcome Hummbusa, Yes using only the L. tank is NOT vented.
Simplest test for a cap is suck on it, [seriously]& if it draws air it IS Vented. The other should NOT. If you are only using the Left tank for now, put the vented one on the left & ride it, But DO NOT fill it up with gas, or you will learn why the left is supposed to be Non-vented as the gas comes out when "Leaning" on the side stand...

Congrats on your new '50 Pan.
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

Thanks for the help!!
I rode about 100 miles today...It really is`true` If I have to explain... Nothing beats riding an antique ;)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Sounds like your L. gas cap was un-vented
Did you just test them as I mentioned, to see which one was vented & switch them ??
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

No I didn't suck on them but it was obvious which was vented but I couldn't switch them as they where different depths but I just loosened it and it worked fine.
Now I go back out to ride and dead as a doorknob..no power at all...checked the battery..whoops empty..filled with h2o and started charging.
Also my hand control for spark advance don't work and am I correct if I manually turn the distributer counter-clockwise all the way that is fully advanced? It was popping a little that should take care of it.
Also half way through my trip my speedo and odometer just quit (i was told it was just redone) my guess is the cable broke? Easy way to check?
I ended up gitting rid of my 1996 Road King to get this bike and the miles I put on so far are well worth the troubles so far.....I WILL NOT GIVE UP ;) ;)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

HB -

Don't stop at just one bike. Iron out the bugs on this one, but have another on the back burner. The fun never ends.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Hummbusa, sounds like original HD tanks.

Try not to overfill any battery as it dilutes the electrolytes & weakens the battery.

Yes, turning 'counter-clockwise' is advancing it.

Speed-0 cable=disconnect at the trans & give the protruding bit of cable a spin & watch your speed-0
You should be able to get it to move slightly which direction ? I forget, try either & see. If this works, it's the tranny/speed-0 little unit likely.
Good luck & keep us posted.
Don't be surprised about little things happening. No matter what they said prior to sale.
I won't try to guess at your mechanical skill level, but it sure helps, the more you can do yourself. & that is part of the Trip, too... ;)

If you don't have a GOOD HD Factory Service manual, Get one. an HD Factory one is best.. 48-57 should cover yours, guessing as I have no clue other than 50 FL
53rigidrider
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 53rigidrider »

When I first got my '53, the gas caps on the '39 tanks vented fumes like crazy.
I put thicker seals in them and voila! I had the same results you initially did. Seems the new seals blocked the RH vented cap.
No more tears......
Occam's razor theory
PFFP ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting”