A simple question, will not start when hot

gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

A simple question, will not start when hot

Post by gpp3442 »

57pan bike ran great last summer.
Did some mods, mostly cosmetic except new exhaust.
new battery(12v)
new coil(did not need, just twisted a little too hard)
manifold tested

Bike starts close to it's usual self when cold.
Will not start when hot, even just a 3-5 minute run(adjust carb,timing,fuel etc...) was running rich even though carb set in same spot as last year.
she will not start again till ice cold.
Getting plenty of fuel no vlock
I dont have much to check with but battery when ignition off almost 12v when on, down to 6.5.
getting spark on points and plugs. points gap .018,plugs .026
engine is fresh with just under 1000 miles on the rebuild. Walking with a limp already snapped off 1 kicker arm, now turning to you guys, went through hours of threads just need a little help.thanks George III
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: A simple question

Post by Cotten »

GeorgeIII!

Sorry to be as annoying as a dirtbike's exhaust, but it really must be asked for clarity: When you tested your manifold, it was wasn't by just spraying WD-40 all over it, was it?

...Cotten
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Mr Cotten,
No problem.
I used the directions from the site reccomended here, Manifold Leak Testing on the Indian site. Are my symptoms leaning toward a leak? I just spoke with my Brother-inlaw a Biker from the sixties(he believes it still is as he is in Hawaii where the grass is always green) he said it possibly could be lifters(solid) too tight? If possible do the directions in the HD manual apply to adjust them?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Solid lifters get looser when hot, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.
Coils can be heat-sensitive.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

would a leak from carb to manifold be a suspect?
If so would someone describe the proper way to fit up the carb to the manifold. Do I use a sealer between there?
Thanks George III
kell

Post by kell »

How do you know it's running rich -- did the plugs get fouled?
Your battery goes down to 6.5 volts (!!) with the key on. What's wrong with your electricals? You won't get much of a spark.
Bad battery, or the wrong coil. Some coils for modern vehicles have little as half an ohm resistance (or less!).
Put the old coil back on and try it. Your voltage should not drop much. Prolly not even by one volt.
By the way, getting a spark with the spark plug in free air doesn't mean you'll get a spark under compression.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Plugs black soot, brushes right off.
Would the single exhaust set up change anything, ran stock two into-one last season.Where carb was set last season was rich able to lean it out(11/2 truns adj. bendix) and was running fine no black smoke.
I snapped the connector on the old coil.
New coil 12v looks the same but is a little bigger in width,more round. Have a new tailight(works fine) two wires, one to brake pedal, one to ignition post, is it grounded through the pedal switch because there's no internal ground that I can see.
Thanks
George III
kell

Post by kell »

Listen, if your voltage drops to 6.5 volts you've got a problem. Why don't you fix that first. Sounds like you changed something in the wiring, if you found it necessary to describe your taillight setup. You have a new battery. Assuming the new battery is good, that huge voltage drop means you have a short somewhere.
By the way, I just reread where you say the battery reads almost 12 volts. A new battery with a fresh charge will show between 12.6 and 12.8 volts. You've drained the new battery -- more evidence pointing to a short. You need to do a little basic electrical troubleshooting.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Thank you Kell.
Found short.
Battery up and charged and holding 12.6 and above.
How much voltage should the coil be showing? 6.0?
Bike starts normally but gets HOTT VERY HOT quickly.
Plugs good and tan.
Put a oil filter on still not sure if lines hooked up correctly.
Horseshoe tank, outside line to oil filter to the pump or to the case?
Thanks,
George III
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello
If this is after market maybe it's like mine
Two outlets on the top right, filter on the lower left and the feed line on the lower right, the line closest to the seat post is your return line,(goes to the pump) next to that goes to the case (vent or breather) I just went through this last Saturday
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentlemen,
Still scratching my head.
bike is still getting super hot super fast.
Anyone know where to look next.?
Could the shotgun exhaust(mufflered)make such a big difference.
Could my new external oil filter be a cause, still unsure about the exact hookup I have the oil filter on the outside nipple going to the pump. does this matter much since both return oil to the tank.
Thanks
George III
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

gp3442
Are you getting oil back to oil tank when running? Does your oil tank get real hot too ? After fixing short , is your timing on the money ? Points set ?And are you sure you don't have an intake leak?
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your help and ideas.
I was rushing it, the weather here has been great and my pals were all out riding.
Patience, Patience.
Fourth gear I switched my oil lines and bike is up and running. I am not familiar on how to time my bike(57)
but it's starting in it's old familiar way and not heating up.
Kell I unhooked my front headlight and seems I may have to go back to my stock 7" is it possible the new 5"
halogen draws more amps and was sucking the life out of my battery? Has anybody put the Buell sealed battery in their pan, I heard you could put it in sideways?
Thanks,
George III
kell

Post by kell »

In a previous post you said you found a short. Where?
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

gpp3442
Them oil lines confuse alot of people , I always double check them when some one has an oiling problem. Your new Halogen should not effect your batt. if all your systems are up to par (Gen. , Reg. , Batt. ) There are posts here that talk about those sealed batt. , I might go to one my self . You can try double stacking the small ones and put them in parallel ( plus to plus ,neg to neg . ) As far as the timing goes , do you have points or electronic ? The manuals give a good description on timing your bike . If you don't have one , you should get one . I static time point ignitions. Some use timing lites for both , what ever floats you boat .Glad to here ya running OK

Return to “Troubleshooting”