1951 Panhead HELP

popspan

1951 Panhead HELP

Post by popspan »

Here is a problem, I was riding my Pan home from work and it quit. So I checked over it and found I wasnt getting any spark so I changed the plugs, points and condenser. Still nothing so I changed the coil, nothing still. So I switched to a solid state voltage reg and got a new battery (6 volt). That did it, now she was sparking. Oh yeah and while I had it apart I adjusted the rods (i was getting some noise from them). Now she runs but.... she isnt starting like she use to and It loads up real bad when I get going down the road and usually stalls out on me. Plus I'm getting some smoke out of the pipes now. And whenever I put my circuit breaker cap back on and flip the retaining clip up it stalls out. ANY ideas would be helpful at this point.
sleeper

Re: 1951 Panhead HELP

Post by sleeper »

Try running it with the timer cap OFF. If it runs like it 'used to' something is touching inside when you clip it.
& Grounding it out. Sounds like anyhow..
Additionally, do you have the pushrods adjusted "TOO
tight"??? Better a bit loose than Too tight..
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

Yea taking into consideration what you did I would go to the adj. on the pushrods But also you have another problem in the distributor. It sounds like the clip on the plate is touching the base and shorting out the points. Check to see if it needs some fiber between the eyelet and the base. Also if the points arm is not down enough on that clip so than it hits the cap. It is a auto advance distributor isn't it? The flat top cap? I had a similar problem with my Shovel(66) and the fiber washers on the eyelet were worn out and contacting the base and shorting out there. Check out that whole area and see if it is a good connection. Good Luck
popspan

Post by popspan »

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna check this stuff out right now. BTW what are some symptoms of the pushrods being too tight. And i have tried riding with the cap off ,it runs but after about a mile in loads up real bad and stalls out. what do you think?

http://home.earthlink.net/~popoleospits/Panhead.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by popspan
oh yeah, I'm running a single point manual setup. i think i need to upgrade that too.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Having the pushrods TOO tight can make it hard starting. & as it heats up run worse & eventually you can burn the valves as they would NOT be closing ALL the way.. Surprised
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Popspan

What type of lifter/push rods are you running? If you have the old stock "oilcan" pushrods with the hydraulics on the top of the rods they could be worn out and causing some of your problems, especially with the rod adjustment. I changed out to solid rods this winter and it has made a world of difference, the motor is more responsive and believe it or not quieter!!
What do you mean by "loads up and stalls" could your carburetor be set too rich and you plugs fouling? What carb are you running?
Although the auto advance points are superior, I have run my manual advance for thirty years with no problems and those points are sure easy to adjust.
I visited your site and your bike is a beauty. It is good to have it stay in the family and I hope someday your grandkids will ride it as mine are riding my 51.

Good rides

King

Return to “Troubleshooting”