Bikes: 56 Hydra Glide
72 Sportster
70 R60/5 with sidehack
2018 Road King
95 Hugger

rim and hub painting

Post by Gregg »

Gents,
Last week I took apart my wheels and sent the rims out for powdercoating. My question is how to handle the hubs. I'd like to also powdercoat them, but after disassembling, do I mask the surfaces to be mated with the brake drum and alternately under the thrust bearing cover, or do I have him paint the whole thing? Is paint under these areas a problem?

Question 2
best place for buying hub rebuilding parts?

Question 3
Thinking of sending the wheels to Buchanans for lacing and trueing, as I haven't found anyone locally that I have alot of faith in. Bob, anyone in LI, NY or Metro Jersey you know of that's good and reasonable? (BTW Just helped my partner pick up a police bike in Hoboken)

Thanks
Gregg
tomcat
Bikes: 1947EL
1948FL Project
1947WL Project

Re: rim and hub painting

Post by tomcat »

mask drum side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Gregg, your powder coater will have high temp plugs for the races. The star cover screw hole are better chased with a tap after the process. The only place that might take a little work is cleaning out the brake drum dowel pin holes. Get a dingle berry hone from McMasters and it will take the paint out of the holes quick. The average price around us for lacing and truing is approximately $75 clams a wheel. The only people around the area that I know are Jim Phillips in Clinton NJ AMCA member 908-638-5782 or Wheel Works in Mount Holly, NJ but any local bike shop should be able to supply you with this service. Bob L
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Let us not forget that the flat lip on the star side is a thrust bearing surface, and should be protected from coarse blasting.

....Cotten
Gregg
Bikes: 56 Hydra Glide
72 Sportster
70 R60/5 with sidehack
2018 Road King
95 Hugger

Post by Gregg »

Much appreciated guys! Off to the painter!
Gregg

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”