oem rim

Wheels, hubs and tires
firoutfarm
Bikes: 61G 45Wl 70FLH

oem rim

Post by firoutfarm »

What And where do I look to tell if my 61 FL has OEM rims??????? Any pics? Thanks Lloyd
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: oem rim

Post by Robert Luland »

There will be a little emblem on the inside of the rim that says Kelsey- Haynes. The number to the right is the year and the one on the left is the month. Hope this helps, Bob L
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Bob has it right--- and it's a stamp on the inside of the rim as he says; you'd have to demount the tire and remove the tube protector.
Somewhere along in the late 50s or early 60s, K-H introduced the 'safety bead' on their rims. I know that the 'safety bead' wheels are wrong for my '52, and came along later--I can try to find out what year. Here's how I was told you can tell the difference--- "If you piss on your wheel, the safety bead will catch and hold a little of it." Presumably, this means with the wheel on the motorcycle, and the motorcycle on the jiffy stand.
Well, what that means is there's an extra little turned out lip on the outer edge of the rim. I think you could just pour some water on the wheel instead of pissing on it. :lol:
I have some of each, and if we get desparate enough here in this thread, I could take some pics, if there's enough interest. Oh, I mean pics of the rims, not the test..! :lol:
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Not sure what year MoCo officially switched over from one style of rim to the other but here goes...

52 date code pic 1

52 date code pic 2

52 date code pic 3

These are located near the valve stem hole

to be continued.....
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Later rims (date code is 71 but I have 2 from 64 that are wrapped and also have similar codes as these 71 rims)...

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

The 43006-62 part number appears near the valve stem hole (on 4 that I have); the date code and KH markings on these are found about 180 from the valve stem holes

As far as when the switch was made? Thinking the 43006-62 part number might have something to figure into it?
firoutfarm

Post by firoutfarm »

Great info, just what I needed!!!!! Thanks, Lloyd
firoutfarm

Post by firoutfarm »

I got the tire off and the rim has the Kersle-Hayes stamp with part #43006-40 so they are OEM. They could use chrome, I know it is costly but I went online and I was shocked. $250 to well over $300.. Any ideals on chrome on a place to have it done around Cincinnati or even shipped? The spokes are in good shape, were they SS or chrome from the factory? Thanks, Lloyd
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Looked in Palmers Guide and did not see an option for chrome spokes and nipples for 61. Hopefully someone will reply with the 'for sure' answer. If not chrome then the correct finish would be cad plated depending on how "original" you are trying to get to.

Stainless steel spokes are a modern development and a great idea for an everyday rider. Buchanan is IMO the best option out there. I am sure Taiwan Ted offers theme but...

Think that if you are in the Cinci area, it will probably be cheaper to stay within the local geography. Thinking that shipping might negate the cost saving of farming the parts out?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Stock H-D spokes were never chrome or stainless as standard. Civilian bikes were cadmium and most military were parkerized with some exceptions to both over the years. Stainless spokes that are glass beaded look like cad but never rust. Chrome just looks wrong on a stock machine. But anything you like is fine if it is what you want!
Robbie
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Classic Components. in CA. for the rims. They are hard to do, and most places don't even do them anymore. They have done three for me, and they are knockout quality. They're charge depends on if the wheels need straightening, or blending. Mine were about $240 apiece, including they're shipping charge. I paid for the rims to them. There are plenty of places for general chrome work, but the profile of wheels separates the craftsmen from the wannabes. They also have a decent turnaround time. I think they advertised in a recent AMCA mag.
Mike
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

If I recall correctly from reading a post on Matt Olson's site, the center of the rim is not chromed.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

If I recall correctly from reading a post on Matt Olson's site, the center of the rim is not chromed.
It is chromed, but not polished!
Robbie
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Rubone,

That sounds about right!
amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Post by amiabledave »

Brown's Plating does a great job and did a lot of plating/polishing for me yrs ago. Most custom bikes in Magazines are chromed by them. http://www.brownsplating.com/ 20 yrs ago they chromed for everyone. Then they only chromed for shops ( had to pay that middle man). Now, once again you can send your parts to them...........

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”