Tom1969
Inactive member
Bikes: 1960 Panhead FL Bobber
1960 Panhead Semi-restoration
2003 Custom Softail
1986 sportster

Star hub re-build instructions

Post by Tom1969 »

Hello does anyone have instructions or a pdf on how to properly install new replacement guts into a star hub. unfortunately this hub came empty to me. This would be for a pre 1967 hub.

I believe it is a mid 1950's hub.

thanks,

Tom
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Star hub re-build instructions

Post by NightShift »

Dear Tom,
I always did it just like the book except I always shimmed the star with nothing else in the hub, and I didn't put the big seal in until everything else was right.

Watch out for funky repop parts,
Tom1969
Inactive member
2003 Custom Softail
1986 sportster

Post by Tom1969 »

Thanks, i'll keep an eye on this.

Regards,

Tom
ncitta
Bikes: *

Post by ncitta »

has anyone found a feasable way to convert to timken type bearings for hubs with poor races???
Regards, Nelson
NightShift

Post by NightShift »

ncitta wrote:has anyone found a feasable way to convert to timken type bearings for hubs with poor races???
Regards, Nelson
Dear Nelson,
Sure they have but it is always more headache and money than it is worth.
It is easier and cheaper to bore the hub for a race and keep everything else the same.

A 45" female rod race carves in easiest,
HUBRACE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Tom1969 wrote:Hello does anyone have instructions or a pdf on how to properly install new replacement guts into a star hub. unfortunately this hub came empty to me. This would be for a pre 1967 hub.
I believe it is a mid 1950's hub.
thanks,

Tom
As a matter of fact, I did a little piece on rebuilding star hubs a while back.... hope it helps.

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2009/11 ... wheel-hub/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not hard to rebuild star hubs. Replacement parts are available, and if all you have is a bare hub, you might be better off looking for a hub at a swap meet--- usually can be had in the $50-$100 range. Otherwise you'll have to buy all the guts. But that's not a problem, you can find them here at 'Into The Wilderness':

http://www.itwtrading.com/1936-1966StarHub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you need any help with the hub, let me know, I'd be glad to help.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I want to add something to this tread. This about the plug fit. To make a long story short, I mixed two bearing into the wrong bag. I had no problem with my micrometer finding the two orphans but this is where the story takes a twist. As I’m miking these little suckers, I’m realizing that none of them are what the package says. 8 over =2508. No were close. So I started opening other sizes and it was the same story. If you’re going to do a plug fit? Do it on what the bearing size is not what the package says. Bob L
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I buy my rollers only from Chuck at Kick Start. He buys direct from Torrenton, so the quality is probably higher and more uniform. It's important not to buy no-name Asian imported parts. If you ask Bags at ITW what the source of his parts are, he will tell you before you buy them; he buys a lot of European stuff. But the rollers, I only get from Chuck.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

NightShift wrote:Watch out for funky repop parts,
there it is, good advice, rollers are a prime example. This thread is loaded with good advice, one other piece of good advice came from Bob; if you have a micrometer, USE IT! Check all the bearings carefully and try to match them as a set.

Years ago (many) one of the Motor Companies strong points was that they used, and sold, good stuff. Their roller bearings were considered the absolute best and everyone preferred them (even the Indian guys). But, 75 years later, things have changed.

mike
Tom1969
Inactive member
2003 Custom Softail
1986 sportster

Post by Tom1969 »

First I want to say thanks to all you answered my question. Last night I placed my wheel on my workbench stand and pieced it together. I tooked a little time, but after doing I feel confident i can now do it in my sleep. As one member mentioned beware of funky aftermarket pieces. But, all in all this kit that i got had everything i needed to assemble a fully funtional star hub.

Again, thank you to all of you for your help, this is a fantastic site.

Regards,

Tom
NightShift

Post by NightShift »

(Psst! Mike! Torrington made everybody's rollers. And them Indian guys must have been awful good with a hacksaw!

Just between you and me,
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

NightShift wrote:(Psst! Mike! Torrington made everybody's rollers. And them Indian guys must have been awful good with a hacksaw!

Just between you and me,
Shifty,
In recent history (the panhead days and beyond) that is no doubt true, Torrington supplied most of the industry. My comment was about ancient history (the days of the harley-indian wars). Before WWII, and in the decades even earlier, the Mo-Co produced most of its own hardware, you won't see much CP (Chandler Products) stuff on anything because they made it in-house. They may also have made their own roller bearings, I'm going to do a little research and find out for myself.

Like I said, I'm not sure about the roller bearings, I wasn't around back then. But, if you can believe some of the best historians that have done the legwork and talked to as many of the original crew as they could track down, there are several references to the quality of H-D roller bearings back in the day. I found it interesting that both of the historians, authors, that I have learned to trust, made mention of the roller bearings specifically, not just hardware in general. I respect these guys because I know them both and I know the depth of their research; Jerry Hatfield and Herb Wagner. Anyway, it has been documented in several pieces of historical literature that the guys racing Indians were using Harley rollers somewhere on their bikes because they believed the Harley stuff was better. Could be a myth, an urban legend, I don't know.

But right now, in 2010, your best bet is to dust off the old micrometer and measure any set of rollers you intend to use. Match 'em up and install a complete set of exactly the same size.

jmho

mike
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Very good advice. And buy Torrington's to start with; they are the highest quality you will find today.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Just google Torrington and you will find that they captured the roller bearing market in 1935.

Torrington is in Connecticut.
Indian was in Massachusetts.

Think about it.

....Cotten
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

The old dealer that I learned so much from, (thanks Ted,RIP) remarked more than once that HD did make their own bearings. I'm sure I've read in literature from the time that they did, to the quantity of 250,000 per year? Anyway, when they did the sort at the factory they only sold the std and oversizes to the public, but kept the UNDERSIZE rollers for inhouse use, didn't have to ream out nearly as much material from those rod races! He had bags of them that he grabbed while at factory repair schools.
DD

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”