Wheels, hubs and tires
Moonlighter
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead
2005 RK
2006 SB

Wheel Problem ?

Post by Moonlighter »

Can someone tell me what differences there are between a 1967 rim and say a 1966? Here is my story. I am working my project bike that was built sometime ago by the previous owner with a variety of parts. '58 frame, 62 engine, 64 transmission etc... When I got the bike it had a 21" front wheel. I didn't like the look of this and decided that I would replace it with a 16 X 3 Star hub type rim. Durring the tear down process I removed the front wheel and brake assy. set them aside and proceeded with my project. Being that this is my first build I didn't think about the differences between the two wheels. Now I am ready to complete the rolling frame and I and am waiting delivery of my new wheel (scheduled delivery next week). The other day in anticipation of getting my wheel I placed my order for the front brake parts. It was then that I realized that the brake drum I have is a 67. Looking through the parts book I see that there are different numbers for the brake shoes, and axle. So here I am waiting on a wheel and brake parts wondering if I am going to be ordering a new axle ? Will the drum bolt up to the star hub? Will I have issues with spacers? I haven't had time to really research this but thought that I would seek the knowledge of you more experienced guys. Anything?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Wheel Problem ?

Post by Bosheff »

If yer only changin the wheel, what difference does it make what year the axel, hub or brake components are? Everything fit when ya took it apart, why won't it fit when ya put back together? From what ya said, the only changes you are makin are the wheel and obviously the spokes. Goin from a 21" to a 16" is about as straight forward as it gits. Everything else is the same as ya had before. Maybe I'm missin sumthin here....bosheff
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The '66 wheel is a star hub, the '67 is a so called mid hub. The '67 wheel uses sealed bearings on one side only and the other is carried in the brake drum. The '67 drum will NOT bolt on a '66 wheel and vice-versa. Can you post pictures of what you do have so it is easier to identify? If using one type or the other all the associated parts must be used, hub, drum , spacers, axle, etc.
Robbie
Moonlighter
Inactive member
2005 RK
2006 SB

Post by Moonlighter »

RUBONE wrote:The '66 wheel is a star hub, the '67 is a so called mid hub. The '67 wheel uses sealed bearings on one side only and the other is carried in the brake drum. The '67 drum will NOT bolt on a '66 wheel and vice-versa. Can you post pictures of what you do have so it is easier to identify? If using one type or the other all the associated parts must be used, hub, drum , spacers, axle, etc.
Robbie
Rubone that is what I was afraid of.. Looks like I will be returning brake parts, buying a new brake assy... I will post pictures asap. ugh.......
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My pan has the 67 hub and brake drum setup on the front, although it is on the left side. Can you re-order a 67 style wheel? Unless you're after "correct"...Mike
Scott McKelvey
Bikes: '60 FL chopper in 52 wishbone frame
'63 FL
('67 FLH and Gennie shovel custom)

Post by Scott McKelvey »

if you had a mid-star hub/brake on there before, and you are getting a star hub wheel now, you'll need:
-axle
-drum
-spacer (the one that goes through the backing plate)

From what i remember, the rest should work with either year grouping (backing plate, shoes, springs, drum bolts, etc).
Moonlighter
Inactive member
2005 RK
2006 SB

Post by Moonlighter »

Scott McKelvey wrote:if you had a mid-star hub/brake on there before, and you are getting a star hub wheel now, you'll need:
-axle
-drum
-spacer (the one that goes through the backing plate)

From what i remember, the rest should work with either year grouping (backing plate, shoes, springs, drum bolts, etc).
The order is in for drum assy, Axle. I just like the star hub better and believe that it will be money well spent.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”