1949-1966 front axle

Wheels, hubs and tires
jarhead
Bikes: -

1949-1966 front axle

Post by jarhead »

What is the length of the shoulder of this 1949-1966 axle with the hole in it? Also what are the tolerences of the axle?
DSC08083.jpg
I just rebuilt my starhub and I have like a 1/8 gap where the axle hits the starhub. New races and rollers and shims, standard size. New complet kit for a bare hub. I'm thinking I have wear at the shoulder. I'm running no hubcap if that matters. Any input would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: 1949-1966 front axle

Post by Bigincher »

I have a couple different axles--- one of them, I'm not sure where I got it, but has written on it 49-66. The large portion that you ask about measures just over 4-1/4" long. The other axle-- I think it's a 1967-72 axle--- measures only 4". I can't confirm that the one identified as 49-66 is actually correct, but I'm pretty sure it is.
Also, without the hubcap, you need the spacer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

This is probably the stupid question of the day but....did you tighten down the end nut on the axle before you tightened the the lower slider nuts on the right side? Did you check to see if the axle slides through your hub freely since you rebuilt it and before you mounted it on the bike? Did you check to make sure the axle fits properly through the brake drum/hub components before you mounted the tire?

Just a couple of thoughts...you may have everything right but a couple of tight spots can gum it all up. You have a completely chromed axle in the pic you provided. That can definitely cause/contribute to fitment problems.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Spacer?? No stock Hydra-Glide I have ever seen ever had any spacer without the hubcap! Show me the part #!!
Robbie
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

My shoulder on my axle is 4 and 3/16 long... When I took off my hubcap sometime ago, I figured I needed a spacer. I believe that spacer wrecked havoc on my axle and inner sleeve. panz4ever, I followed your procedures. Even took off the brake drum sleeve to see if it was a proper fit with the tire off. I will try again today. Would those slider nuts hold the axle tight against the shoulder if I had that 1/8 gap close up while traveling down the road? Also when I take up that 1/8 inch slack the drum pulls away from the backing plate...
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

RUBONE wrote:Spacer?? No stock Hydra-Glide I have ever seen ever had any spacer without the hubcap! Show me the part #!!
Robbie
With all respect, and not being the expert that you are, Robbie, I will have to go find the old hub caps I have and look again exactly how they fit up. I was at least hoping you would correctly identify the axles in the photo I posted, with the top one being 1949-66 and the bottom one as 1967-72. I was trying to help.
Last edited by Bigincher on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

jarhead wrote:My shoulder on my axle is 4 and 3/16 long... When I took off my hubcap sometime ago, I figured I needed a spacer. I believe that spacer wrecked havoc on my axle and inner sleeve. panz4ever, I followed your procedures. Even took off the brake drum sleeve to see if it was a proper fit with the tire off. I will try again today. Would those slider nuts hold the axle tight against the shoulder if I had that 1/8 gap close up while traveling down the road? Also when I take up that 1/8 inch slack the drum pulls away from the backing plate...
jarhead, could it be that the step in the axle at the brake sleeve bottoms out against the sleeve prematurely? A more important measurement might be the location of the steps in the axle. I hope this is of some help to you......

jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Due to a unexpected arrival of guests , I was unable to work on my dilemma today. I plan on taking the hub apart again. Hopefully soon I will tackle this problem... Bigincher ,appreciate the measurements and all that have contributed to this thread . I will post by results shortly...
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Sorry it took a while. I have since took apart the hub again and I can't find anything wrong. I did notice that my brake sleeve is
different from the original manual . Here is my brake sleeve and axle...
Efrensvariouspictures052-1.jpg
With the brake sleeve on....
Efrensvariouspictures053-1.jpg
Has anybody see a brake sleeve like this??? By the way my axle is 13 and 1/4 inches long and the wide shoulder is 4 and 1/4 inches long. It does seem that the brake sleeve does bottom out prematurely on the axle or the brake sleeve is wrong? I have someone now looking for another axle in their stash as we speak so I can check that first. Any more ideas put forth is always appreciated...
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Here is my brake sleeve in the wheel, tight against the hub....
Efrensvariouspictures048-1.jpg
This would be the other side of the wheel with the brake sleeve tight against the hub. You can see the gap....
Efrensvariouspictures047-1.jpg
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Sure looks to me like the shoulder in the axle at the brake sleeve is bottoming out, as though that step in the axle is in the wrong place. How does it compare to the dimensions I gave you for that second shoulder? I bet you a buck that's what it is. I can measure my brake sleeve, if it will help.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Bigincher , can you measure the total length of the brake sleeve, the wide part, and slotted part ? I"m going to measure the "second step" on the axle again and will get back to you....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

jarhead,
That is not a factory H-d sleeve so it is hard to determine what you have to work with. The factory sleeve has a deep diagonal counterbore where the axle enters it. The axle has a wide radius at the steps to eliminate stress fractures and the stock sleeve is made to match. If you have an aftermarket sleeve that is not machined correctly that could be the whole problem.
Robbie
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

I measured the second step again, and being as precise as I can with my measurements, the second step I recorded at 4 and 1/4 inches, from the widest shoulder to the very beginning of the first taper. Bigincher, if you measured the axle the same way I did then it is off....
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

RUBONE wrote:jarhead,
That is not a factory H-d sleeve so it is hard to determine what you have to work with. The factory sleeve has a deep diagonal counterbore where the axle enters it. The axle has a wide radius at the steps to eliminate stress fractures and the stock sleeve is made to match. If you have an aftermarket sleeve that is not machined correctly that could be the whole problem.
Robbie
I found a brake sleeve on Ebay that was like my type. It states that it is American made so I'm hopeing the specs are the same as a OEM part. If not, it's the sleeve or axle that is causing my headaches. Thanks for the insight. Here is the link on the part....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-196 ... ccessories

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”