Check that axle nut

Wheels, hubs and tires
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Check that axle nut

Post by King »

Yesterday i was on a ride and noticed that the rear end was pulling slightly to the right when I applied the rear brake. As the ride progressed it got worse so I pulled over and set the bike up on the rear stand to check it out. To my amazement the rear wheel was totally loose with the axle sliding fore and aft in the chain adjustor slot. The axle nut was quite loose and I suspect that with a few more miles of riding I would have lost it with the axle following not far behind.
So if your rear end starts acting squirrelly check that axle nut!!

King
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Check that axle nut

Post by 57pan »

It's always nice to catch things before they fall apart.

Reminds me of the time I was riding home from work and for some reason the realization just popped into my mind that I had not tightened the axle nut the nite before when I was doing some work on the bike. I pulled into the first parking lot I came to and checked it. The nut was still on and I tightened it as much as I could with the pliers that I had with me until I got home and could get my BIG wrench on it.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Check that axle nut

Post by caschnd1 »

Dave,

I can be somewhat forgetful about things like that too. Whenever I have my rear axel out, I replace the cotter pin. So what I started doing is taking the new cotter pin, even before I take the old one out, and taping it to the throttle grip with some masking tape. No way I can ride off without it. I have similar "tricks" for other things that I might forget. Sometime I just write a note on the masking tape and put it on the grip. When I was assembling the bike, I put tape across the ignition switch that I had written "FLUIDS?" on. That tape was there for months and I probably wouldn't have forgotten, but I wasn't taking any chances. ;)

-Craig

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”