Wheels, hubs and tires
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

59 Pan stock wheel hub parts question

Post by neilw »

I took my wheel hubs apart and the parts manual shows part number 43561-39 its called a collar hub bearing ..The HD manaul shows the same part but called it a roller retainer thrust collar.The HD service manual doesnt mention it but Clymers book says to remove it ( it should come out with the bearing assmbly) My 2 wheels neither have this part .If it's in there it must be pressed in I'm going to try to send a photo of Clymers page .its part 26 just to the left of the drawing of the inner hub sleeve. Just a foot note ,both wheels had no excessive play according to HD specs ,so I dont think they are left out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neilw
1991 HD springer
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: 59 Pan stock wheel hub parts question

Post by neilw »

pardon my screw up on the post for 59 pan hub info ..The part is called "Collar, hub bearing" I left out the comma in the previous post.It's also called "the roller retainer thrust collar" in the clymerbook
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

The # 26 thrust collar is on the left side of the hub and has a circ-clip over it, shown in the bottom right pic.
neilw
1991 HD springer
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

the bottom right picture shows a circlip ( snap ring ) over part 43564-35 which is holding the cork washer in.It's #37 in the drawing I sent.I was asking about #35. I just found out it is a pressed in part and rarley ever is replaced or removed. I was on Hawg Ryder's all harley tech forum .He sent an explanation along with a better exploded veiw.
The guys at Clymer said it should fall out when removeng the bearing.What they probably got confused with is #30 in the drawing that does come out with the bearing on the right side..Thanks for answering ..I'm heading back to my hubs now..
VT

Post by VT »

Aw-yeah #26 is that pressed in thrust washer on the hub. Got it. Great hubs. The V-Twin repop hubs use the same OE style parts which is awesome, because once the OE hub races are gone, the hubs are wasted (or I guess can be made into Timken at that stage).
neilw
1991 HD springer
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

what a time I had trying to figure all this out ..took all day and finally I got asking questions .. Then it started making sense .By the time I started asking I was pretty sure The part I was trying to figure out ,had to be pressed in..anyway It's good to have it confirmed..
I see a few things screwed up ,even in my reliable HD parts book ,like they show the rear axel right hand side spacer going onto the axel with the big end toward the hub. The hd manual ( which falls to pieces and I keep having to re-sort out the pages) shows it the other way around which is correct .On all my bikes I rely on the parts book together with the service manuals .I even have several Clymer manuals and one pretty much usless Haynes manual. The main thing I'm in no rush and like doing this ,it makes it more challenging when things don't seem right. And you learn more stuff you will never forget .
Neil

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”