61 Pan rear hub assembly

Wheels, hubs and tires
docscully
Inactive member
Bikes: -

61 Pan rear hub assembly

Post by docscully »

I don't have the rim or parts in front of me to look at, but is it possible to assemble the rear wheel (hub) up to the drum brake on either side? Or is it one way only?

Thanks,
Doc
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I've never had a juice brake but on the mechanical there are five dowels on the drum and five threaded lug bolt holes, so you need ten holes to mate up. five are countersunk for the lugs. Mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Doc
Panacea is correct, only one face of the hub will bolt to the brake drum. Star hubs are all the same, hydraulic or mechanical brake, front or rear mounting. The face of the hub which bolts to the drum has 10 holes, 5 dowel pin and five countersunk lug bolt. The opposite side is dished and has the "star" (bearing cover) screwed into it, it also has the inner sleeve which protrudes slightly from the bearing cover and contacts the axle spacer.

Late model mechanical front brakes are mounted on the right side of the fork, if you have a directional type tire mounted on the rim, one with an arrow on it indicating direction of rotation, you no longer have interchangeable wheels. You won't be able to swap from front to back unless you dismount the tire from the rim and flip it. I would almost bet that is the reason for this question.

mike
docscully
Inactive member

Post by docscully »

Thanks guys, all parts seem to be mounted correctly BUT I have no clearance between the tire and the fender on the chain side and plenty of room on the opposite side. nothing seems to be bent, chain tracks good and the two tire are very close to inline with each other. How can the center line of the rear tire and fender be so far off. I estimate about 3/8".
One would say thats not very much but one good bump and there goes the new White wall.

Doc
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Hi Doc,
Is it possible that someone laced the rim off center?
This is how it is supposed to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
docscully
Inactive member

Post by docscully »

51HOG, I've checked the rim dimensions and there is about 1/8" offset between the hub and the rim. However it is offset away from the fender on the no clearance side. One might say to offset it more for equal clearance, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. I need to offset the tire in the swingarm by a total of .3125" to have perfect equal spacing(that would be nice). All in all I don't have any idea on what to do to achieve this.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”