Wheel centering

Wheels, hubs and tires
panster

Wheel centering

Post by panster »

Hi,
with a stock starhub and a genuine 16" rim should the 11/64. spacing put the hub dead centre (sideways) of the rim? I've had a wheel built and the hub looks about 1/4" over to the brake side.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks J.
panster

Re: Wheel centering

Post by panster »

OK,
so, no one knows about the rim offset, how about this then, presuming the front wheel runs dead centre of the forks, when everything is bolted up on the rear wheel does IT run midway between the rear axle plates ?
So if I had a REAR hub with no rim all fitted up with brake and spacers in the frame, would the hub grease fitting line up dead centre to the frame backbone ?
I know this might all sound dumb, I'm just trying to determine wether the "16 rim should be laced up to the centre of the spoke flanges or not.
Thanks,
J.
57JOHND
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57JOHND »

Panster,
Theres a heck of a lot more qualified folks here than myself so hopefully a little later this evening Im sure you will have lots of responses.
Presuming the 11/64ths IS how the front is laced (and verified) my understanding is the rear should run directly in line with it. Verified with a straight edge/string type arrangement, direct, wheel to wheel. This would appear to allow for any very minor frame misalignment. Im not sure but using the rear sideplates as a reference, and centering in there, may cause misalignment with the front. On mine the 11/64ths puts the front wheel,rim edge, equal distance from each fork leg (+/- 1/8 in.-- its assembled, with the fender, and all, in the way this is the best eyeball I can put on it) With the drum and all I cant see that the hub is "off" to the drum side by the 1/4 described
Hope this helps.
John
panster

Post by panster »

Hi 57john,
thanks for the interest, I just re-read my first post and I see I didn't make it clear, when I said the hub was off to the brake side I meant on a loose wheel, NOT when assembled on the axle in the forks.( same as the rim being offset to the right ). My own conclusion to this matter is that the rims on interchangeable hubs end up central with the spoke flanges and that the hub centres are in line with the frame backbone and seatpost.
Thanks again,
J.
DanM
Former member
Bikes: 1913 HD single, 1926 HD JD, 1964 HD FL, 1994 Honda CT70

Post by DanM »

I agree. The hubs run centered, and the rims as well. There does not appear to be any offsets built into the swingarm that is then canceled by setting the rim off from the hub.
I'm not sure of the location of the side plates, but the centerline of the rims should fall down the centerline of the bike- seatpost/steering neck.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”