Radial tires

Wheels, hubs and tires
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Radial tires

Post by 59pan »

Who rides on radials

Man! I am tired of slippin around corners on those bias ply tires. Who rides on radials and what size works best on stock hardtail pans?
dj

Re: Radial tires

Post by dj »

I suppose there are better tires out there for road handling that are radials, but I like the way that Avon SM MK II's handle (and the classic look), front and back.... and I'm going to assume they are bias ply...good in the rain is the acid test for me. I don't take corners excessively fast but I've never felt like I was slipping....ever. Sorry, don't know much about radials.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I have Continentals on my swing arm 64 FL.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know this is an old post!--But I would like to add that I have had VERY GOOD RESULTS from CONTINENTALS, AVONS-(they make a special tire for rigid framed bikes!-Rear olny!),& most recently I have got a COKER on the front!--& so far I like it!--Its very soft & sticky with no sharp-edge!-just a nice radius to the sidewall!,-So you can really pegscrape if you have to & have confidence that the front wheel wont slide-out from under you at hi-speed!.The worst tire I ever had on the front was a Dunlop!--It was hard--no stick to asphalt at all!---I have always stuck to Contis on the back or the REAR RIGID TIRE that AVON makes!--Its tread is great on watershedding also.--On the front ANYTHING SOFT & STICKY is fair game!--The coker I Feel is OK!-After I heat it up for 20-miles & I put it to some real leaning curves at speeds that should not be done!--It felt GREAT!--I felt totally comfortable ,I did not for a second feel like the tire would slip!--The olny thing with soft compound/sticky tires is they wont last!---I change my tires every other year anyway!--The backs are still good & the fronts are OK also!--So I give them to my friends if they need a rear tire!/-Never would I give them a front used tire for a front!--On the back its fine!---Just my 2---stay-safe & upright!---RICHIE
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know this is an old post!--But I would like to add that I have had VERY GOOD RESULTS from CONTINENTALS, AVONS-(they make a special tire for rigid framed bikes!-Rear olny!),& most recently I have got a COKER on the front!--& so far I like it!--Its very soft & sticky with no sharp-edge!-just a nice radius to the sidewall!,-So you can really pegscrape if you have to & have confidence that the front wheel wont slide-out from under you at hi-speed!.The worst tire I ever had on the front was a Dunlop!--It was hard--no stick to asphalt at all!---I have always stuck to Contis on the back or the REAR RIGID TIRE that AVON makes!--Its tread is great on watershedding also.--On the front ANYTHING SOFT & STICKY is fair game!--The coker I Feel is OK!-After I heat it up for 20-miles & I put it to some real leaning curves at speeds that should not be done!--It felt GREAT!--I felt totally comfortable ,I did not for a second feel like the tire would slip!--The olny thing with soft compound/sticky tires is they wont last!---I change my tires every other year anyway!--The backs are still good & the fronts are OK also!--So I give them to my friends if they need a rear tire!/-Never would I give them a front used tire for a front!--On the back its fine!---Just my 2---stay-safe & upright!---RICHIE

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”