Spoked wheel truing

Wheels, hubs and tires
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Spoked wheel truing

Post by 59pan »

Wobble wobble. Anybody know a shop in Dallas, Tx or close-by that has the equipment to true up a star hub wheel? Thanks in advance.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Spoked wheel truing

Post by 51Hog »

Truing a rim is not a very difficult thing to do. It is just exacting. No special equipment needed.
I just re spoked mine by following the instructions in the panhead manual. I used the bike itself as a truing stand. Worked great. My wheels are less than 1/64th out of true, and that is because of the weld in the rim.
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

On the same note...my spoked front wheel wobbles bad in a narrow speed range 35-40...took it to a shop, he said he "fixed" it with a 1/4 oz weight. Wheel now wobbles at 40-45...is this a balance problem or a truing problem?

Thanks
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Block up the bike so the front wheel is off of the ground.
Make sure that the brake is not dragging.
If your bearings are good, you can get an idea if balance is off or not. you can also check rim true.
Put a block of some kind on the floor beside the wheel but not touching. place a pencil on top of the block with the point almost touching the rim.
Spin the wheel slowly being careful not to move the handlebars or the pencil. The point will tell you if the rim is out of true.

With the balance, ---the heavy part will always find its way to the bottom of the wheel while it is suspended.

Hope this helps
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

i just did both wheels with new spokes and rims, while on the lift i did both wheels on the front. put some mechanics wire from the axle to the edge of the wheel and you have a makeshift truing stand. keep tightening spokes on one side, loosening on the other and check by spinning to get it all true and moving in the wire as you go until you are right up to rim. j

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”