Tire Question

Wheels, hubs and tires
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Tire Question

Post by fourthgear »

I have a square tube swing arm on my 65 and its got a 140/80/16 on it , I can see that even with that spring loaded chain tension thing on there they (previous owner )could not keep the chain away from the tire . Its bald and needs replacing,now can I go with a 130 , is that going to put it narrower? I see also that the choices are few by going to a 130 as far as ( I think ) is the profile of the tire , they go to a " 90 " , will that put me at a taller tire . I just do not want my chain rubbing on the tire . I'm basically setting this bike up for my wife and want to keep it as low as possible ( she got short legs ) The shocks and front tubes were lowered two inches already(previous owner ) and she is still not flat footed on the ground , nor do I believe she ever will be , but I would like to keep it as low as possible.

So will a 130/90/16 fit with out my chain chewing it up ? It also looks like the rim is wider , should it be marked some where , I can't see any markings .What do you all think ?

Post by Guest »

The previous owner also put a wider rim on the back of my 51,I seem to remember he had a bent rim and found this wider one at a swap. It is very difficult to remove and replace on my hardtail, but no problems with the chain hitting. I'm running Continental MT90 16 112. Mike
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Tire question....

Post by captainharley »

Fourthgear, My '65 Pan has a square tube swingarm ('75 S-glide) and I'm running a 140/90/16 Conti "Blitz" with no problem. The rear chain is
also a pretty fat 'jap' o-ring one. What kind'a hub/brake/spacer set up
are you running? Mine is the stock S-glide single disk with banana caliper.
What I'm trying to get at is maybe your rear wheel is not centered right.
Or maybe that chain tensioner 'thingy' is off setting the chain travel? I can't help ya' with the tire sizes. All I know is I got the biggest tire at the time (late '70s) that would fit on my bike and have always stayed with it.
Wish I could help you some more, but good luck and keep us informed as to what ya' find out. AMF/Ride Safe

"To some people 'Freedom'...
is just another dirty word."
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well , all with the spacing looks OK , I'm thinking the swing arm is from 77-83 and it looks stock except it has a Performance Machine brake caliper assem.. I'm guessing of course . I think from 73 -83 the swing arms are all the same .I'm going by the duel disc brake set up on the front , was only available on the later year bikes and I believe the swing arm and front end came from the same bike or parts.
The tire is a Avon AM23 and its wide at the edge and yes that roller chain tension-er was worn out & will not be back on .
If I do have a wider that stock rim , I will have to keep to a wider tire , will I not ?
I 'm used to replacing a tire with whats on there too , this switch aroo stuff makes me think and it hurts . I think it was on this sight , that some one said, one tires manufacturers size will not necessarily be the same as another manufactures , even tho the number are the same. I will not be putting another Avon on.
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Tire questions.....

Post by captainharley »

Fouthgear,

I measured the width of my Conti Blitz on my scooter. It has approx. 35 lbs. air and the bike is sitting on its side stand. Widest part was approx.
5&3/8ths inch. With the bike standing up with my 220 lbs. on it I'm sure the tire sidewalls probably "pooch" out a little. Plus with some hard rear brake action the "pooch" might get a little bigger. The rear chain's widest
distance at a roller pin is "a lady's pubic hair" past 1 inch. Even with me and a good size gal on the back. I have never seen any chain rub marks
on my rear tire. The chain runs awlful close to the tire and is a bit (well maybe more then a bit) loose even with the proper slack. In other words the chain is pretty worn and will easily touch the tire if pushed against it
manually. But, again I have never ever noticed any chain rub. The rim is a early ('70s) Taiwan copy of a stock H-D rim. It was made back when
the Taiwan repops were made pretty well. Hope this will help ya' out some. Also, the tranny and rear wheel sprockets are probably Taiwan
repops. I try and keep the rear drive line tracking right and maybe with the lack of chain rubbing I am....who'da figured!?!?

I bought my last Conti's (front also) from Dennis Kirk they had the best
prices with free shipping..... ya' can't beat that. Check'm out if you have not already they carry a lot of tire brands.

Are you gon'na be Pan riding down to the possible "HDFourms" reader/rider meet in Ocala this Dec.? I'm gon'na just shoot for a
one day ride to there if it does happen.

AMF/Ride Safe
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

This Avon is 6 " wide and I will put the tire & chain back on and take a photo . The tire is worn out and if all that has been touched by the chain is the very outer edge ,which could be from a defective tension thing , I guess its not that bad. I might get another the same size ,but not the same brand.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

captainharley
As far as the meet in Ocala , when in Dec. . I Deer hunt in Ohio the first week in Dec. and is it a meet for another forum ? Ocala is not far from me .

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”