Rear Wheel locking up on installation (?)

Wheels, hubs and tires
1950Bobber

Rear Wheel locking up on installation (?)

Post by 1950Bobber »

Guys...I've tried more times than I can count...PROBLEM: When I tighten my rear axle nut, someway, somehow that tightening locks my rear wheel almost unmovably (?).

I'm running a 67-72 rear hydraulic brake/wheel combo on my '58-64 frame. I'm using the correct axle, right side spacer, axle sleeve, collar/spacer/nut.

I pressed in NEW sealed bearings (2 of them) into the brake drum. The hub has a new bearing.

When I put everything together, finger tight...it all spins fine. BUT, when I tighten the left side nut that holds the spacer (I'm referring here to the spacer that the axle adjusting bolt pushes against when you're aligning the wheel/adjusting the chain tension)....the wheel starts to bind. It FURTHER binds completely when I tighten the axle nut.

Question: 1) ....Is my collar the wrong thickness? 2)...Are my sealed bearing in the hub not seated when they should be? ...OR... What else could be wrong?

Sure could use some help....I can't run this newly upgraded motorcycle until I get this problem solved!!!!

Thanks guys.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
1950Bobber

Rear wheel locking up on installation (?)

Post by 1950Bobber »

OK, next questions:

1) Are there machined stops in the brake drum itself that the two bearing set against?

2) If not, how far should the bearings be pressed into the drum?

3) Does the one bearing seat up against the bearing spacer or is there some play? (if so...How much space between the bearing spacer and the bearing?)

I'll admit something here!!!! I did not install the bearing spacer and found that out AFTER dissassembly of the entire brake drum/hub?

Now...Was THAT my BINDING problem?

Thanks guys.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber" :shock:
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I believe that you found your problem. The spacer is there to preload the bearing side thrust. Same as on the older wheels with caged rollers. I'm not sure if preload is the proper word, but the spacer eliminates virtually all side-to-side play allowing you to tighten the axle nut very tight. Compressing all, but allowing just enough clearance for the rollers.

Jack
1950Bobber

Rear Wheel Locking Up problem.

Post by 1950Bobber »

Thanks Jack...actually after I wrote the thread...I went back to edit it to ask YOU specifically...knowing you would be the one most likely to know! Thanks...always good to check yourself with those who KNOW!

Much appreciated...I believe you are correct!

Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Jim -

I'm actually better with engine and tranny problems. But, I just happened to be working on a set of hubs that fall into the year range of yours. So, I've just had my hands on those components.

Jack
1950Bobber

Wheel locking up on installation.

Post by 1950Bobber »

My luck! So thanks Jack!

....any idea on my other questions? Depth on setting the bearings in the drum etc?

duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I had problems on my 58 do to mismatched brake parts. Then I bought all 63 and up hardware on my '58 swing arm to take advantage of the wider brakes on the 63's. My wheel was tight and I kept cracking brake shoes. If I recall, I finally noticed that the backing plate spacer did not provide enough clearance and the backing plate was getting cocked very slightly against the swingarm when everything was tightened. I finally bought all new '58 hardware to remedy the problem. I don't know if others have had the same experience or if something was out of kilter on my '58. So my question is.. Cany you bolt on the '67 hardware to a '58 Swing arm or are you running a later swing arm too?
Doug
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Keep '58 with 58-62. The rear brakes on all these models are engineered for specific clearances under a "clamp load", meaning nothing gets right until the axle sleeve and axle nuts are tightened. Only then, will everything line up correctly.
1950Bobber

Wheel locking up on installation.

Post by 1950Bobber »

VintageTwin....

I have to admit here...I don't get your point at all!

The swingarm itself (NOT the brake unit, spacers, etc.)) on the 58-64 is EXACTLY the same configuration as the 67-72...so what are you referring to????

As long as ALL the rear wheel/brake components of the 67-72 are used in it's intended operation...or for that matter, all the components for the 58 to 62 are used in their intended operation ...what's the difference...there's no "mixing" of components between the two units, ....so I wholeheartedly disagree with you...please prove my thinking wrong here!

My POINT! The SWINGARMS ARE THE SAME, What difference does it make which unit you run IN THAT SWINGARM??????

Jim In seattle "1950 Bobber"
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

The '63 has that wider drum (inclusive splash ring). A '63 sleeve. A '63 spacer. All that '63 stuff is over the edge of my flat world concept. I stop at 1959.
Is your drum cast? Cast drums can and do warp on the shelf. So, possibly, the warp isn't noticed until you tighten the axle nut and then the drum binds?
You can read what Mercury Morse says about brakes over at
http://www.vintagebrake.com/ , just for food.
Did you look inside your drum (back wall) to see if the shoe edge is scraping after you tighten the nut? Take a fat tip magic-marker and paint the back wall as Dy-Kem. Tighten the sleeve and axle nuts and force the wheel around. Remove the wheel. Look for shiny metal.
1950Bobber

Rear wheel locking up on installation (?)

Post by 1950Bobber »

Now VintageTwin...there IS some good info in THAT reply....thanks! I don't think you answered my question but I certainly appreciate your response!

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Looks like they make three diff. axle kits( 58-62, 63-66 , 67-72 ) and three diff. brake drums ( 58-62 , 63-66 , 67-72 )corresponding to what year assem. you have . Could there have been an incorrect part in the ones you have or mixed up in some way ? Another thing to remember , some of those hubs hold two bearings on the left side and one in the right side spool/hub. I seem to remember a 69 that had the same problem and one of the left side bearings was not installed and or missing. I think the later years use a diff. hub/spacer assem. for the three bearings. I'm not sure you can mix the three assem. in any way, meaning a 58-62 hub with a 67-72 drum,axle,spacer assem..

Just a thought

Post by Guest »

Fourthgear....

Thanks for adding your comment. I haven't put the wheel back together yet since it was binding on me...I'm waiting on the bearing spacer (some call it an INNER SPACER) to come in after ordering one from NOS PARTS (part #43549-67), this IS the part I WAS missing in my hub/drum installation. As for the other parts, the ONLY ONE I question and I think I have the correct one, is the SIDE PLATE SPACER...the spacer between the swingarm and the brake backing plate. I can see that if this spacer is the wrong size (too small), it could cause the brake shoes to bind against the drum when the axle is tightened... as VintageTwin states.

As for the bearings...YUP, I have all three!

Thanks for responding...once the bearing spacer arrives, I'll try it all again and see it my problem is cured....I should get to that by NEXT weekend and I'll certainly respond back here to let you all know what my problem WAS...hopefully! (not being TOO optimistic....)

:roll:
1950Bobber

wheel locking up on installation

Post by 1950Bobber »

Oops! That was me guys!!!!! 8)

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

You might want to try to fit all together with out the brake pads installed ,just in case there is a fitment problem with them and causing a bind some where . If you are not sure about your backing plate spacer , you can call JP cycle and they will measure a 67-72 spacer for you ,so you know if the one you have is correct or not, its worth a try. Even NOS will probably do that for you too. You can e-mail them for a response.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”