re installing frt wheel on 59 pan ??

Wheels, hubs and tires
neilkw
Bikes: 1959 FLH
1978 BMW R1000RS

re installing frt wheel on 59 pan ??

Post by neilkw »

As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a hard time removing my frt wheel on my stock 59 FLH. It's got the bumper too. When I tried to pull it away from the brake assembly the tire hit the fender , very little room. My brake shoes should arrive tomorrow and I'm wondering if I will have to install the wheel before the fender. Its no big deal cause I think thats the easiest way, but Im wondering what the "proper way" would be. I never changed one before cause all my old pans were chopers and had no fenders/or frt brake either.
I only had one decker before this one and it was a 1976 shovel. My ride now is a 1991 springer.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Re: re installing frt wheel on 59 pan ??

Post by Panhead Ed »

I dont know if it was mentioned but let the air out of the tire and it will be easier .
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

You absolutely can remove & install the wheel without touching the fender!.////As was posted removing the air is a big help!.--Also if the fender bolts are not OEM they can be taller !-(by that I mean the heads are of regular bolts.The OEM ones are thinner by a .0625).I found that out as soon as I rolled the bike & there was a dark mark-not groove around the tire right where the bolts were.I grinded mine down & all is good.-----Respectfully----RICHIE/PS the .0625 is a close guess!--BUT oem have thinner heads then the stainless ones I used./Just something to check if it bothers you.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The wheel and brake assemblies were designed to be somewhat user friendly in a time when roadside repairs were common, so ease of removal and installation were important features. The stub axle holds the backing plate tight against the fork leg and the drum sits flush over it. The wheel is installed with the drum removed. As mentioned , with some of the air out of it it will fit easier. Period tires were narrower section so it was easier still than with modern rubber. The fender would never have to be removed if all the parts are correct and properly maintained. The lug bolts must be tightened before the hubcap goes on unless it is the type with a hole in it for the wrench. the axle nut is tightened before the fork leg cap studs so that it doesn't pull the fork out of alignment.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

I dont imagine any of you guys would try this but it was common when fixing a flat on a run to simply lay her over on the crash bars and remove the wheel for repair . Thats right ... No H.O.G. to call for a ride to the dealer for that expensive fix .... Ed

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”