Wheel Offset measuring point

Wheels, hubs and tires
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Wheel Offset measuring point

Post by Lowbikemike »

Good afternoon, working on a 62 panhead original star hub and oem -62 Safety Bead rims. My problem is setting the offset on the wheels. I have read the service manual and Palmers and they both reference measuring 1 7/8 inches from the nipple boss to the straight edge, this puts the hub offset to the star side. What am I missing? Should the hub be center in the rim or offset to the brake side. Checked the knowledge base, but didn't get a firm answer I understood. Maybe I'm measuring from the wrong point. Where exactly is the nipple boss that is being referenced?

Thanks in advance
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Wheel Offset measuring point

Post by blewcrab »

ok... this is a non technical answer . my 65 has more clearance on the brake side fender ...twice the clearance of the right side . I have made 10,000 measurements trying to figure it out .I had no idea the wheel needed to be offset . I have had no problems running it this way ,but your post explains allot . so short answer offset to the brake side .
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Wheel Offset measuring point

Post by 58flh »

You will know if your correct!--By simply making sure that both rims are at the CENTER of the Frame.--Front wheel centered with the NECK/ Rearwheel centered with seatpost.If you know your FRAME is STRAIGHT//This will get you on-point or VERY very close.--If the tires are not mounted you can use a string & pull it tight-It must touch all 4-points of the rim.Do the rear first & have somebody bring the front rim to the string!--If all points hit you are centered!.///If it seems that it needs like 1/16- or 1/8 to be correct.---Get a long piece of 1X1-Alum. angle & Clamp a sturdy wire from front center axle to rear center axle---Move to other side & check again-IT MUST FIT the EXACT centers of both axles!.--IF NOT ADJ. REAR until its all good!.I use welding-rod to clamp-on the angle-(It works very-well with small 2-inch C-Clamps).ANOTHER way is--Once the bike is all together & its chain ADJ.-time--I use the hole in the Axle-Plate with a plug that fits tight & a small piece of Alum. I can bend to center of Axle--Do same on other side,& bring it to center!--Always re-check.It works very good.----Respectfully---RICHIE

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”