Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant

Wheels, hubs and tires
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant

Post by Schwee »

I have a new 21" front runner, star hub and tubed Avon.
Have any of y'all used Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant or something similar?
I didn't find it in the Knowledge Base.

It seems like it needs balanced.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Re: Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant

Post by Huck »

I never balance tires, can't help with your question.
but.
If you're running a speed master pay close attention to how the tire beads to the rim.
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

When I changed tires on my Heritage last time, I used Ride-On instead of balancing them.
The rear tire wore out (as in cords showing) in just 5,000 miles. The first 2 rear tires lasted 10,000 and 11,000 miles.
The front tire is cupping after the same 5,000 miles, it now has 7,000 miles and the cupping is getting worse. I think I will be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of the front tire this time. The first tire lasted 21,000 miles.

Now, I am not sure that Ride-On has caused these tires to wear out twice as fast as without it, but it is the only thing that I changed when changing tires. No more Ride-On for me.

I bought a $ 29 balancing rack from Harbor Freight and balance the new rear tire.
I would have been money and time ahead if I had bought the balancing rack instead of Ride-On the first time around!

Take care
Red
55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by 55panFL »

Me and my buddy's have been using it in our twinkey's and seems to be working great.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

GUYS----I have been using SLIME for yrs.I change my rear tire at 20K/And thats to be expected as I run lower pressures on the rigid. Also thats riding 2-up 70% of the time!---I know that everybody pretty much knows at what speed the bike gets squirly!--Mine did at 93mph like clockwork!.Now I do Not ride at speeds like that all the time!-But sometimes when going on a far run & you get stuck behind a Trailer hauling garbage or chikens, cattle, whatever--It Stinks bad! So you leftlane & pass the stinky truck.He may be going 65 or 70mph just like everyone else on the road!As soon as I hit 90mph I had to grab my fork with my left hand & roll on the gas with the right!--It goes away at 100mph,& then we get back into position when safely away from the 18 wheeler.That was with lead weights on spokes or Rim it didnt matter!--I got SLIME from AUTOZONE in the LARGE CAN & filled the hell out of it!--I now have no HI-SPEED wobbles & the bikes smooth as a RIGID can be!.ON a 21-inch Avon 1-Can is plenty!--Fill till empty Then top off with air -(olny if it still needs some!).I have all the Boyz I roll with on SLIME!--It works GREAT!---I have read that the PJ tire balancer & filler does not compare to SLIME!/Lots of bad posts on it I guess.Just my opinion on what works for me & my Guys!---Respectfully---RICHIE
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I've never tried any goop for balancing. Doesn't it make a mess when you have to let the air out to change a tire? I would think it would in a mag with no tube....
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

One of my farm-boy amigos told me that they used to run Slime in their bike tires, and they've also given the Ride-On product a trial run, but recently, they have switched over to bull semen. According to him, bull semen is the best thing you can put in your motorcycle tire; it's the latest state-of-the-art product available. Right now, their primary focus is on developing a more refined method of transferring the bull semen from the original container (the bull), into the tire. Understandably, the real bottleneck in the whole process is the valve stem. He said they've been having the best success by scanning the herd and then selecting the biggest bulls, the ones with the loudest bellows and snorts, and the most threatening manner, because they've discovered that those are the bulls with the smallest "transfer appendages", and the only ones small enough to actually fit in the valve stem. I'll keep you guys posted as more information becomes available on this latest scientific development . . . :D .

Geo.
motorcycleradventurer
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by motorcycleradventurer »

I use Dyna Beads in my every day ride. It has tubeless tires though - They say you can use them in tubes but I haven't tried that.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

old.wrench wrote:One of my farm-boy amigos told me that they used to run Slime in their bike tires, and they've also given the Ride-On product a trial run, but recently, they have switched over to bull semen. According to him, bull semen is the best thing you can put in your motorcycle tire; it's the latest state-of-the-art product available. Right now, their primary focus is on developing a more refined method of transferring the bull semen from the original container (the bull), into the tire. Understandably, the real bottleneck in the whole process is the valve stem. He said they've been having the best success by scanning the herd and then selecting the biggest bulls, the ones with the loudest bellows and snorts, and the most threatening manner, because they've discovered that those are the bulls with the smallest "transfer appendages", and the only ones small enough to actually fit in the valve stem. I'll keep you guys posted as more information becomes available on this latest scientific development . . . :D .

Geo.
Sounds like a lot of bull!:)
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

And on the other side...
I never put anything inside a tire except air. All balancing is done externally on all my bikes, old or new.
Robbie
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

I have No-mar mounting and balancing equipment. Tire mounting and balancing I've done for friends and friends of friends who have used balance beads and other stuff like that usually seem to have "cupping" issues pre-maturely on the front before the tire is worn where safety is a question. They blamed it on the beads. The stactic balancer No-mar sells is similar to the same balancers used by Moto-GP and ama superbike tire manufacturers at the races. If its good enough for 200+ MPH its got to OK for highway harleys. Gary
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

motorcycleadventurer----What are DYNA-BEADS?-How does it work?-(liquid?)-Sorry to ask but my pc needs another cleaning & I cannot open that link.--RICHIE
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

The tire balance beads or balance goo, goes in the valve stem. The beads are small plastic pellets, and the goo, is goo. About a cup goes in. In theory, they accumilate at the light spot in the tire and therfore balance it. My problem with it is sometimes when mounting a new tire the weights needed to balance is way heavier that the beads. See my point? I always check the wheel, unmounted, for balance so I know where to put the mark on the tire (if it has one, some don't) that supposed to go at the valve stem, the light spot in theory which isn't usually the case. Did I make sense? Its early. Gary
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

6hds wrote:The tire balance beads or balance goo, goes in the valve stem. The beads are small plastic pellets, and the goo, is goo. About a cup goes in. In theory, they accumilate at the light spot in the tire and therfore balance it. My problem with it is sometimes when mounting a new tire the weights needed to balance is way heavier that the beads. See my point? I always check the wheel, unmounted, for balance so I know where to put the mark on the tire (if it has one, some don't) that supposed to go at the valve stem, the light spot in theory which isn't usually the case. Did I make sense? Its early. Gary
Sure, that makes sense.
If you mount and balance your own tires, you can minimize the need for balance weight no matter what you use for balancing weight (beads, goop, stick-on or clamp-on rim weights, pre-made spoke weights, or soft solder :lol: ). First, find the heavy point on your wheel assembly. Second, find the heavy point on your tire. Third, mount your tire on the rim with the heavy points opposite each other so they work to counteract or off-set each other as much as possible. I think any type of balancing is better than no balancing, and it's easy to do. I really don't know why anyone wouldn't want to balance their wheels?

Geo.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I happen to think that anything you put IN a tire for balancing is merely treating the symptom instead of treating the disease. And like 'most' others here, I prefer to be smart about tire installation and balancing. Sometimes you get lucky and don't need any "soft solder" at all.
(Made me chuckle because for decades that's how I balanced the 21-inch front tire on my chopper.)

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”