Sheared lugs

Wheels, hubs and tires
vmoheat

Sheared lugs

Post by vmoheat »

Hello all,
What would cause a single lug to shear off and loosen the other lugs on the rear wheel. This bike is ridden quite a bit and this just started this year. The bike is stock (74 inch, "j" cam) but I am running modern Dunlop tires. I also had to replace several rivets on the sprocket the last time I had it in the shop. I use blue loctite on the lugs all the time.
Ideas?? Thanks, Vince
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Re: Sheared lugs

Post by Huck »

Umm? A hip shot. Are the tapers in the hub in good shape?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

VMOHEAT---For a lug to shear the whole assembly would have to move to cut it!--There for all would shear.However you mentioned you put new rivets in the sprocket,I believe the lug sheard as it was overtightened & stressed from age/& finaly after the others loosened she poped.Problem is why did they all LOOSEN-UP???--Is the sprocket on tight & STRAIGHT!,Also are the berings properly greased?-They will overheat if undergreased & that along with a possible loose & not square sprocket did it.At any rate you have to yank the works apart & RECHECK EVERYTHING!--(Even more so if running original star-hub & not timkin conversion!).---Check runout at rim also/Any loose spokes all add up to a situation as you got.OR if your Ripping Rubber its to be expected.--Respectfuly---RICHIE
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Excessive slop at the dowel pins, worn hub lug tapers.... Ect. Once one goes the clamp load is gone , they will all go.
Loctite is not really needed , but checking them for proper tourqe is a good idea as part of your maintenance is the way to go. Hope you didn't get to much damage...
Adam
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

The mating surface between the drum and the wheel hub cannot be over-painted.
Too much primer, paint or powder coat sandwiched between the two and bolted down will never tighten properly.
The wheel will become loose over time. You will find the lugs and dowel holes elongated.
I use next to no paint on these surfaces.

Jim
vmoheat

Post by vmoheat »

Richie, I do run her pretty good, but I think I know her limitations (maybe). I would add this is a new thing. It has been fine for about six years since i put the bike together. I do check lug tightness and grease everything every 1000 miles or so when I change the oil. Also put new lugs on last time I serviced it. Could my brake drum be bad, since the sprocket lost some rivets? A few years ago I had trouble with the hydraulics and the drum got pretty hot. Thanks for the help everyone!!
Vince
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

vmoheat wrote:......................... Also put new lugs on last time I serviced it. ..........
Sounds to me like this is the only variable between now and then. I always go back and look at the last thing I did.
Did you replace the lug screws with OEM lugs or repop..?
vmoheat

Post by vmoheat »

I used Colony lugs. Never had a problem with Colony parts before.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

A buddy picked me up one morning with new custom wheels and tires on his truck, he drove to a job at the mega-mall about 45 min. from my house. I got out of the truck and happen to notice only one lug nut on the front wheel, and it was almost ready to fall off too. Perhaps you forgot to tighten the lug nuts?:)
vmoheat

Post by vmoheat »

Possible, but not likely. I definitely have an issue with over tightening things. Guys I work with won't let me use an 18" pipe wrench unless I am working 1 1/2' pipe or larger.
Could overtightening lugs cause this?
Thanks, Vince
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

vmoheat wrote:I used Colony lugs. Never had a problem with Colony parts before.
I agree, most all Colony stuff is excellent.
Can't say as I've had my hands on Colony lug screws before though.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

vmoheat wrote:Possible, but not likely. I definitely have an issue with over tightening things. Guys I work with won't let me use an 18" pipe wrench unless I am working 1 1/2' pipe or larger.
Could overtightening lugs cause this?
Thanks, Vince
Tourqe is very important , and so is the way a fastener is manufactured. And one relatets to the other , if the fastener is over tourqued its stretched past it's point of elasticity , and is compromised. Clamp load is specific to the size , and use .
The service manual says " tighten very tight" , I'm thinking 35 ft pounds.
I'm using OEM lugs , I agree with Bigincher , colony stuffs good.
Adam
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I love reading this stuff but all of ya missed the one thing. Bad Threads! Just because there not striped doesn't make them good. I'm willing to bet those lugs wallow back and forth in the drum. That's why the loosen up. This is why the factory sold over sized lugs and Colony does to. Bob L
vmoheat

Post by vmoheat »

Good point,Bob and everyone else, for that matter! I will check everything out as soon as I can. Does colony sell the tap necessary to enlarge the brake drum holes?
Thanks, Vince
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If the holes are wallowed as BOB mentioned---Then a tap really wont help here--I would use a oversize drill first Then tap to NEW bolts OS-THREAD for a TIGHT FIT!--OR USE HELI-COILS!-&RED LOC-TITE -let dry overnight & assemble!--JMPO!---Respectfully---RICHIE

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”