Tire Presure

Wheels, hubs and tires
HardlyDangerous
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 FLH
2010 FLHR

Tire Presure

Post by HardlyDangerous »

I see in the owner’s manual for my ‘64 FLH that the recommended air pressure is 12 to 14 pounds!?! Currently I’m running one original tire (previous owner bought several HD tires back on the day, he was working as an HD mechanic and got a “good deal"). Can this be right? OK it must be ‘cause it says so in the manual . . . but, is this right? 14 lbs.? Of course modern tires are running about 40 lbs. or so. Your comments would be welcome.

Oh yeah, I’ll be replacing the original tire with something new, original is in good shape not cracked or dried out but want to keep it available. Any recommendations?

Cya
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Tire Presure

Post by Cotten »

HardlyDangerous!

What brand does your original "H-D" tire have upon it?

Pressure differences also correspond to different profiles, which produce different handling characteristics. Many modern offerings are the swing-arm-and-later "low profiles".

(If you run a hack, modern specs upon modern tires are a disaster waiting to happen....)

....Cotten
HardlyDangerous
Inactive member
2010 FLHR

It's a solo bike with the Goodyear whitewall with HD on the sidewall.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

HardlyDangerous!

I am not familiar with any vintage Goodyear tires with "Harley-Davidson" on them (which means little!)
Perhaps it means "heavy duty"?

How wide is the whitewall?

....Cotten
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I run 20 pounds in the rear and 30 in the front with brand new harley dunlops and have no problems.The only reason I run 20 in the rear is cause I have no suspension.Youll be fine running 30 pounds in both tires cause you have shocks.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Any of those tires with "H-D" in the sidewall are MODERN tires and not the vintage of your bike. The inflation should be the tire manufacturers and NOT your '64 specs. The construction is entirely different and proper inflation is extremely important for tire life and safety. Under-inflated modern tires can fail due to excess heat generated and the ability to unseat on the rim. The sidewall will have inflation and load specs. Or visit the manufacturers website for info, but DO NOT use '60s specs....
HardlyDangerous
Inactive member
2010 FLHR

The fellow I bought the bike from bought extra tires back in the mid 60's. He was working as a mechanic at the time and told me he got a good deal on them so bought several. The front tire on this bike is an original tire from that era. No really!!
He also had the original keys and the fob from the dealership along with the tools in the tool box (he took the tool “box” off the bike, the tools and box came in a cardboard box with the “Trumpet” horn).
I’ve decided it’s stupid to run that original tire for several good reasons and I’m going to put a modern tire on it. Maybe a Dunlop with whitewall.
Thx for the input
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Use the manufacturers spec. for your swingarm bike!--It wont hurt it if you run 2-3lbs.-less--which on a swingframe means nothing!--But as was clearly said --DO NOT GO BY 1960s SPECS!---You will hear that some of us run well below spec. for pressure!--But in a Rigid frame its DIFFERENT as the Tires are made for a RIGID REAR!--I buy RIGID olny tires for the rear!--The front I use SOFT & STICKY tires!-But that is for another purpose that should not get winded here!.About Radial???-Never ran one.Stick to manufacturers setting & you will be fine!--If you feel its to much pressure.-(hard-ride),-you drop it 2-4lbs.,but it wont make a different feel on a swingframe anyway!--ADJ. your shocks & find your sweetspot!--Respectfuly---Richie 8)
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i wasn't aware there were tires designated for rigid frames!
HardlyDangerous
Inactive member
2010 FLHR

Thanks for all the input. To clarify, the sidewall shows the letters HD in the yellowed whitewall, not Harley-Davidson. They are dried out some but not "cracked". I'll keep 'em with the bike but won't ride on them. I never cared for the "squared" shape of the old (or replica) tires anyways.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”