Coker Firestone vs Goodyear 5.00x16 tires

Wheels, hubs and tires
kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Coker Firestone vs Goodyear 5.00x16 tires

Post by kehughes »

Can anyone tell me more about the ride/handling differences between the Coker Firestone vs Coker Goodyear tires? Any advantages/disadvantages of each? The goodyears are around $23 cheaper each. Im not sure which to get and plan to buy very soon.

I know I asked about this deeper into another thread but didn't get alot of feedback. I wasn't sure very many saw it.

Thanks for any feedback.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Coker Firestone vs Goodyear 5.00x16 tires

Post by 1950Panhead »

I've used both, the tread differs, the ride is the same.
Jerry
kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Post by kehughes »

Thanks Jerry. I went ahead and ordered the Goodyear.
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by tcb-1 »

I always heard that the Goodyears followed cracks. However the "new" Coker repops do not have the wide center tread that the original had, which has possibly alleviated the following issue.

I have a Coker up front a geniune Goodyear in the back. Happy with the ride and feel...... as happy you can be with 60 year old technology :)
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

tcb-1 wrote:I always heard that the Goodyears followed cracks. However the "new" Coker repops do not have the wide center tread that the original had, which has possibly alleviated the following issue.
Yes, they did. The original Goodyear Super Eagles had a groove dead center on the tread pattern, and they were bias ply, they would track a tar line or crack like they were on a rail.

This brings up the 2nd point about modern production repop tires. It has been mentioned several times that they are made from modern materials using modern manufacturing techniques, but, the most important difference is in the tread pattern. A repop Goodyear does not have the same pattern as an original, and that's a good thing. Same goes for the modern Firestones, they are NOT the same pattern as the original Deluxe Champion. Do not trust the catalog photos, the tire you buy and receive may be VERY different than the picture in the ad, case in point is the Coker Firestone, their catalog still pictures an OEM 8 groove tire, the new productions have half that many (ask before you buy). It is still a good tire but it does not look like an OEM tire from the era. On the plus side however the new production tires will last longer and handle better and they match the OEM in height and other dimensions.

mike
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I bought these tires in February, they are eight groove.
Mike, check out my copycad spokes, I've got my act together, thanks for your help.
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”